Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adware invasion!!!!

1. Adware invasion!!!!

A few days ago I noticed that my computer was chugging along. Everytime I startup theres a program running called "lesg32" and it seems to be taking a lot out of my system, worse even, is the fact that when I open Explorer theres about ten more that open up. I've looked for these files all over my HD but I can't find them. I have Firefox which I can still use, but my computer is slowing down to a snail's pace. Does anyone know of any good adware programs (which I'm assuming is what all of this is) or any other means to find and destroy these vile programs that are raping my system's memory? I downloaded Ad-Ware and fired it up but it didn't do shit.

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

2. Run "msconfig" and look under startup. That'll let you turn it off on startup and also tell you where the files are.

3. Use Spybot.

4. Quote Originally Posted by flux=rad
    Run "msconfig" and look under startup. That'll let you turn it off on startup and also tell you where the files are.
    That REALLY helped man, thanks a lot. Really appreaciate it.
    I went ahead and unchecked all of it, but how do I know what's ok to delete and what's not?

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

5. Not to be a bitch, but we have a tech board for a reason.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Nomi
    Not to be a bitch, but we have a tech board for a reason.
    You dirty bitch.

I'm sure this'll be moved shortly.

LOL Guest
    Get Spybot. It's just like Ad-Aware, and they usually both catch things the other doesn't.

With msconfig, it's good to look at the directory the program is in. If it's not in a directory or affiliated with a program you know, uncheck it. You can always recheck it later if you're wrong.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Nomi
    Not to be a bitch, but we have a tech board for a reason.
    Ha. Guess I should venture out to other areas of the forum more often.

9. Agreeance with Ninjas. Whenever I'm noticing some system slowdown, I run Ad Aware, and then SpyBot to catch the shit. If they don't work, then a system restore does the trick nicely.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

10. Don't...use...Internet...Explorer...