Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 313151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: Awesome new Genesis site is up

1. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    If anything I think the original Sonic has managed to become underrated in 2014.
    I still like playing the original Sonic. I love the music, the level designs and the perfect controls. It's a very polished game.

2. They talk about how Mario wasn't created as a mascot and just became one, while Sonic was created specifically to be a mascot. They ignore how revolutionary and different the game was at the time. Sonic didn't sell anywhere just on his ' tude and his look. The fact that the game was actually good was what pushed sales.

And so what if he was marketed as a mascot? Did these guys forget that Sega was a business? Why wouldn't you do what was necessary to boost sales of your product?

They also complain that the game was just "go right and jump on things," as though that made the game too simplistic (and somehow different than just about a billion platformers of the time) but then proceed to show how much they suck at doing just that. The game being "unplayable" when going fast stems from their horrible skills, as you can see in the video. They ran into enemies that were clearly in view and avoidable, missed easy jumps, and just farted around like they had no idea what they were doing. And that's the game's fault? And Sonic's in the middle of the screen, but you can only see what's in the right half? WTF?

This proves that you can't win this debate with revisionists. Either Sonic sucks because all you do is hold right and run to the end of the screen, or it sucks because you have to slow down and avoid enemies and obstacles. God forbid the levels be designed to include both elements. God forbid you have to actually assess the part of the level you're in and decide how best to proceed. God forbid you think while playing!

3. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    They talk about how Mario wasn't created as a mascot and just became one, while Sonic was created specifically to be a mascot. They ignore how revolutionary and different the game was at the time. Sonic didn't sell anywhere just on his ' tude and his look. The fact that the game was actually good was what pushed sales.

And so what if he was marketed as a mascot? Did these guys forget that Sega was a business? Why wouldn't you do what was necessary to boost sales of your product?

They also complain that the game was just "go right and jump on things," as though that made the game too simplistic (and somehow different than just about a billion platformers of the time) but then proceed to show how much they suck at doing just that. The game being "unplayable" when going fast stems from their horrible skills, as you can see in the video. They ran into enemies that were clearly in view and avoidable, missed easy jumps, and just farted around like they had no idea what they were doing. And that's the game's fault? And Sonic's in the middle of the screen, but you can only see what's in the right half? WTF?

This proves that you can't win this debate with revisionists. Either Sonic sucks because all you do is hold right and run to the end of the screen, or it sucks because you have to slow down and avoid enemies and obstacles. God forbid the levels be designed to include both elements. God forbid you have to actually assess the part of the level you're in and decide how best to proceed. God forbid you think while playing!
    It was when I skipped to the video of them playing that I realized these guys are idiots. It's Sonic, for Christ's sake.

These vidoes are why articles like this imply that Nintendo games are more collectable than ones for any other console. (I'm aware they mention the Genesis, but all they talk about Nintendo games.)
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 30 Jul 2014 at 11:27 PM.

Since when is RetroLiberty a TV show? He either got his info wrong or can't write clearly.

I am all for mainstream press outlets making it sound like collectors should focus on Nintendo games. Hopefully that will keep prices down on the Genesis and PCE stuff I actually want.

6. Over the last few years the popularity of old school video games across various retro console platforms like the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), Super Nintendo (SNES), Nintendo 64 (N64) and even Sega Genesis, has grown significantly, with some rare titles selling for hundreds of dollars (sometimes even thousands of dollars).
    What, even the lowly Genesis is worth something now?

And apparently, this guy has never seen domestic Saturn or TG-16 game prices.

Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    I am all for mainstream press outlets making it sound like collectors should focus on Nintendo games. Hopefully that will keep prices down on the Genesis and PCE stuff I actually want.
    IBTN

8. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    Never thought about it that way.

That's one upside but I would rather see increased appreciation for non-Nintendo classics even if it means raising prices. Rare shit like TG16 is going to be expensive anyway.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 31 Jul 2014 at 10:28 AM.

10. I've had the same 8 titles for my TG-16 going on @20 years. Most of the inexpensive games have been the sports titles crap like JJ & Jeff. The better games were selling for around $25-$40, but those prices have nearly doubled in the past 2 to 3 years.