Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2456

Thread: OMG! Apple's new 30" Monitor

1. No, I mean, you have to have one specific card to use the monitor at its best. It's not a matter of having 'a high end card'. 600 dollars, required for the 30-inch display, no exceptions.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=M9593G/A

2. Damn, I'd like to see the max resolution with that video card. I'm pretty sure ATI will follow suit with a card with similar outputs. Well, you want the best It doesn't come cheap.

3. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa
    Might as well just get a smaller 4:3 monitor then, smartass. I would rather have the full benefit of a hi-res screen without having to use the scroll bars after reading every paragraph on web page or pdf. For data sheets I like having the full page visible and readable at the same time. As I said, it's a moot point with the 30", since I can do this and have space for two pages side-by-side, but I don't want to see iBooks or PowerBooks go all widescreen. Just imagine web browsing at 1024x480, or just try it out on your pc. I've had to do it on a Sony Picturebook, and it really sucks. Even 1280x832 isn't great. I actually prefer 1200x1600, it's like TATE mode for windows, but it's a bitch with my CRT.

As far as apple stuff looking nicer, I really don't see how anyone can take a look at what's out there and still believe that. Even the Lanfire towers look better than the G5, and I'm sure this website has something for every taste:

www.mini-itx.com

Aside from the custom projects, I really like the Hoojum Cubit 3.

Oh, and just in case anyone doesn't know this, it is possible to build your own Mac using more or less standard parts. The only special items you need are an OpenPPC motherboard (Pegasos and AmigaONE will work nicely) and a program called MacOnLinux.
    Well i think what we are going to see is Web pages follow suit and being designed for widescreen display. I have the new 15 inch powerbook and I prefer the widescreen display. Even people who prefer standard, like the way my powerbook is setup.

I think this won't even be an issue anymore in the next 5-10 years because all displays will be widescreen, it will be the new standard.

Also, as accessiblity and other Web standards evolve, we will see more fluid Web pages (not pixel-locked pages)...so for the most part, resizing for a widescreen display will just stretch the content and we will be able to read just as much, just in a different manner...

As far as cost and quality, 3,000+ for a 30 inch LCD of this quality is not a lot really. Large LCD screens are still very costly, wait and bit and the costs will come down...the only other option is plasma or a a standard HD set that can take DVI in and neither of these are going to give you the resolution that you will get out of the 30 inch display.

The only dissapointing thing is that i just bought a new Powerbook laptop and even if I wanted to buy this display, I'd need to somehow get a 600 video card in there (if it would even support it~!)...so yeah, I'm assuming other manufacturers will make a card that works or there will be a hack or something to use this with other cards...either way, it's nice, but not really something any of us would be getting anyway...
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"