Thread: KURAU Phantom Memory

1. KURAU Phantom Memory

I just stumbled across this series. I'm about halfway through the first episode, looks to be fairly interesting.

The year is 2100AD, on the moon. Kurau, 12 years old, lives with her father, a professor. Her birthday's tomorrow and she's not too happy that he won't take her anywhere... but he offers to take her to see an experiment that he's doing so she's happy now. What he's doing is an atomic collision experiment.. but something goes wrong, and two beams of light come out of the collision chamber and hit Kurau, making her disappear. But then she's back... but it's not exactly Kurau. She's glowing.. says that she's a Rynax (using the spelling on the show's site. In Japanese, it's RINAKUSU). Kurau's father doesn't know what's going on and asks the Rynax to give Kurau back, but she says she doesn't know a way. More importantly, she has to protect the other Rynax in Kurau's body, calling it tsui (meaning "pair"). The Rynax has some amazing super-human powers.. she also does have all of Kurau's memories, but Kurau's father has trouble accepting it for a while....

10 years later, 2110AD, Earth.

Kurau's working as an "Agent" now. She's been asked to retrieve some data that's been stolen. Her superhuman powers come in handy when she, along with her partner, go to get the data back, as she goes though doors, and fights a robot that shows up with not much trouble at all... However... she's been waiting for someone for the 10 years she's been here. She's lonely... then someone appears as she's sleeping, glowing.. Is it the other Rynax?

synopsis from Matthew's Anime Blog
    links
    Official Web Site (JPN)
    KURAU Phantom Memory Episode 1

2. I watched the first few minutes of this last night, looks very interesting.

And it's from BONES (Rahxephon, Bebop movie, Esca movie, Wolf's Rain) so it has potential to be great (or merely average ).

Seems pretty good, I'll watch the whole thing tonight and post impressions.

3. Well, I just finished watching the first episode and it was pretty cool, definitely worth the download. The animation is great [as would be expected] and the story is intriguing enough for the first episode, there was an action scene that was really very good, albeit short [I assume from Kurau's job that there will be more sequences like this]. The only real negative aspect of the show right now is that it's yet another series I have to keep up with.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased and would recommend the download.

4. Wow, ADV just licensed this series ... so of course the torrent is now gone from AKeep's site and Ayu's site.

AnimeOnDVD: AnimeExpo 2004 ADV Initial Licenses

I can't find any other group that is still subbing it ... this sucks

5. Ok, for those who missed the first episode, here:

Vagrant A-Re KURAU Phantom Memory Episode 1

Supposedly, Vagrant and A-Re are still subbing this series, the torrent for episode 1 is still up so that's good, but I haven't seen any movement toward any other episodes, though they do promise that more are on the way ... I hope so.

6. Talk about back from the dead, first volume comes out next week but I picked it up early from Best Buy and I'm going to watch it tonight.

Everyone I know who's seen it says good things, so I'm excited.

7. I'm in the middle of the first volume right now and it's way better than I could have imagined.

Fresh. Really Fresh.