Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 256k Java games for Japanese phones

1. You definitely are. In the past few years Sun has made enormous strides optimizing Java, its compiler, its libraries, and its runtime. A lot of people have run experiments comparing Java to C++ and Java is faster a lot of the time. C++ is faster quite often, too, but that just means the tests are inconclusive - which implies that they are both reasonably fast for just about anything.

2. Fair enough, I will go back to my little corner now.

3. Dont worry about it Damian, admitting that you're wrong puts you above umm... 99.999999% of the internet.

4. admitting that you're wrong puts you above umm... 99.999999% of the internet.
    I was going to say something very much like this.
    Please stop confusing your opinion with fact.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Damian79
    Except that it is completely inefficient and designed on getting programs out the door faster rather than maximum performance. In any given Java app, you will find atleast a third of it being redundant code.

Only thing worse than jave when it comes to efficiency, is visual basic.
    There is a Space Harrier remake done in VB with an SDK called VGL GDK (Videogame Layer Game Development Kit). It uses 2D sprites, mixing elements of the arcade game and the Genny SH2. This shows that VB can do some decent stuff yet.

http://www.angelfire.com/games4/hotr.../downloads.htm

As for Java games, minatrix.com has a decent selection of games that aren't bad- Galaxa is a good Galaga remake, somewhat along the lines of Galaga Arrangement.

I have seen pics of the Sega ones before but not the other stuff. Cubic Invaders looks so cool.

lithium Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOGEOman
    you're living in the past, where Java WAS horribly bloated and inefficient. It's simply no longer the case from what I've read.
    Java was never bloated. Java bytecode is really very efficient, always has been. The real difference is the runtime.

Modern runtimes use JIT compiling. Where the program is compiled to native code as it is being executed (JIT stands for "Just in time"). Java bytecode used to be entirely interpreted. That alone is a significant speed increase.

The other nice advance in Java has been native hooks to essential methods, such as System.arraycopy() and the entire Math class. The difference between a native Math class and a Java based one can equal a drastic difference in speed. A typical Java game is going to use the Math class extensively.

If Java was bloated then old programs would still run slowly in modern runtimes. That's not the case.

8. my Nokia 7610 support java games. do think those games would work on it? are file extensions are they? .sis or .jar?