Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 256k Java games for Japanese phones

1. 256k Java games for Japanese phones

I've put together a gallery of the best looking 256k V-Appli java games available for Vodafone users in Japan. Have a look, if you care:

NFG V-Appli Gallery
    Please stop confusing your opinion with fact.

2. Neat stuff, NGM. I could hardly believe Psyvariar Revision (some of the bullet storms during later boss battles are pretty wild) could be crammed into a 256K/ 2 Megabit cell phone game until I saw it there, let alone Ridge Racer or Battle Gear.

Now that DRM idea blows sweaty goats. You should indeed be able to play as much as you like once you buy the game. Having to purchase additional credits or pay for additional packet traffic for "upgrade" checks (Namco/Konami/Taito/Capcom games) is something I don't relish.

3. Holy shit that Ridge Racer looks awesome. These cell phones own the Game Boy Advance.

4. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Holy shit that Ridge Racer looks awesome. These cell phones own the Game Boy Advance.
    Barely, if at all. Java is definitely holding these back.

5. There's nothing instrinsically wrong with Java, chief.

In fact, some studies done have shown that in many circumstances it is actually a lot faster than C++. Slashdot runs one of those sorts of things every once in a while.

6. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    There's nothing instrinsically wrong with Java, chief.
    Except that it is completely inefficient and designed on getting programs out the door faster rather than maximum performance. In any given Java app, you will find atleast a third of it being redundant code.

Only thing worse than jave when it comes to efficiency, is visual basic.

I have seen quite a few GBA games look as good if not better than that Ridge racer game there(driver and NFSU come to mind)

7. Quote Originally Posted by Damian79
    Except that it is completely inefficient and designed on getting programs out the door faster rather than maximum performance. In any given Java app, you will find atleast a third of it being redundant code.

Only thing worse than jave when it comes to efficiency, is visual basic.

I have seen quite a few GBA games look as good if not better than that Ridge racer game there(driver and NFSU come to mind)
    Thats a stupid thing to say. Theres nothing, NOTHING, NOTHING AT ALL that is intrinsically inefficient and sloppy about Java. It's ALL about what you do with the code, not the code itself. Its not the tool, but what you do with it.

Java is just a programming language, not some magical garbage producer of inefficient code.

There are different implemntations of Java with different problems and so forth, and C++ probably is more mature, but its ignorant and idiotic of you to make such worthless statements as "Java is completely inefficient and designed on getting programs out the door faster...". You have no idea what you're talking about and I recommend you come back when you do.

8. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Thats a stupid thing to say. Theres nothing, NOTHING, NOTHING AT ALL that is intrinsically inefficient and sloppy about Java. It's ALL about what you do with the code, not the code itself. Its not the tool, but what you do with it.

Java is just a programming language, not some magical garbage producer of inefficient code.

There are different implemntations of Java with different problems and so forth, and C++ probably is more mature, but its ignorant and idiotic of you to make such worthless statements as "Java is completely inefficient and designed on getting programs out the door faster...". You have no idea what you're talking about and I recommend you come back when you do.
    Yeah, doing a course using java means I know shit about what I am talking about.

I know there is nothing "intrinsically" wrong with java, but rather how it is used. The way is is used today is not by being made from scratch like C programs are, rather they take these premade IIRC objects/classes and shove it into their code and most don't clean it up as it affects other parts of the code too.

If I made everything from scratch, then yes it would be just as efficient, but they way it is currently being taught how to use is however not.

9. Only thing worse than jave when it comes to efficiency, is visual basic.
    There's so much ignorance in this statement I don't know where to start. For one, you spelled Java wrong.

To make a statement like this you have to completely ignore the facts of the situation at hand, like the target platform, the incredibly rich history of impossibly ill-suited programming langages (Cobol? Logo? Fortran? To exclude these in your 'crappy for games' tirade is unforgivable).

Now I'm far from a Java proponent, I don't even code (and I certainly don't care in what language my games are coded) but it sounds to me like you're living in the past, where Java WAS horribly bloated and inefficient. It's simply no longer the case from what I've read.

That said the single biggest thing holding back cellphone games is the shitty controller. All cellphone controllers suck. You want a good phone? Put a screen in the middle of a NES pad FFS.
    Please stop confusing your opinion with fact.

10. Quote Originally Posted by NEOGEOman
    Now I'm far from a Java proponent, I don't even code (and I certainly don't care in what language my games are coded) but it sounds to me like you're living in the past, where Java WAS horribly bloated and inefficient.
    Okay, i take everything I said back then. I did java about 4-5 years ago, so i am probably living in the past.

To make a statement like this you have to completely ignore the facts of the situation at hand, like the target platform, the incredibly rich history of impossibly ill-suited programming langages (Cobol? Logo? Fortran? To exclude these in your 'crappy for games' tirade is unforgivable).
    Heh, bad dreams of java can do that to you.