Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shenmue-Saturn Edition

1. Shenmue-Saturn Edition

I know this has been around before, but it's new to me.

http://www.artificialhorizon.com/dow...ue_Saturn.mpeg

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Golgo 13 Guest
    im gonna assume that's just that Shenmue video on Saturn hardware. looks pretty fuckin nice for a Saturn too, but don't give it too much credit, it was using that expansion that was gonna be used for VF3 on Saturn.

either way, it shows that AM2 most likely has the best programmers on earth.

3. I seen that Shenmue Saturn video at the end of Shenmue 2 and it was amazing. I don't know hardly anything about programing and hardware, but it was awesome to see that the Saturn could actually handle what it was showing.
    pwned by Ivan

4. Don't quote me on this or anything, but my friend told me that ShenMue Saturn actually took advantage of the 4 Meg Cart that come with the Capcom fighter games or something like that. ^_^
    http://www.xboxgamertag.com/gamercard/NGE42/fullnxe/card.png

5. Yep, the video at the end of Shenmue II. I think it's believable that it ran on an un-modified Saturn using only the 4 Meg cart. I didn't hear any sound, but even so, I think that sound wouldn't hurt the game's performance much. Very impressive.

Andy787 Guest
    I've seen screens of it before, but that video is damned impressive

Originally posted by NGEFreek
    Don't quote me on this or anything
    Too late.

8. I doubt that's using the ram cart. People who doubt the Saturn's 3D capabilities need to see this vid.

Makes me wonder what MGS would've been like on Saturn...

9. *sigh*

Could someone else please explain to me one more time how this wonderful piece of hardware that was home to a variety of games using a variety of dimensions lost out so miserably to Sony's incarnation of pure mass market evil in a little grey box? I'm still a little confused. Oh, that's right! Sega burnt the 58 people that bought a 32X. Silly me.

10. I think it has more to do with Sega f*cking retailers by launching earlier, without notice. And ONLY launching in EB, TrU, and Software ect. And at a $399.99 price tag. And only providing limited amounts of systems. And having no must have games at launch. And not telling 3rd parties about the early launch. And not sharing what Sega's in house teams knew about programing the Saturn with 3rd parties.

Despite all that, the Saturn is one of my most played systems ever. I've had a Japanese one since about 1 month after it launched. And all the support from Japan was enough to make me not care as much about the failure in the US.

But for a short while, when Sega put in the 3 free games, Saturn was out selling PS at EB. At least according to our product analist at the time.

To me, Saturn was not a failure. I've gotten more enjoyment from the Saturn that I did from the PS.

I've heard it said from people that do benchmarking for systems, that the Saturn was capable of quite a bit more math than the PS. It's just getting to that power is an art in and of itself. And only a few developers could actually do it. Mostly Sega's in house teams.