Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the hell does Mohammed Ali get trotted out in every public event?

1. Why the hell does Mohammed Ali get trotted out in every public event?

I was watching the All-Star Game a few days ago when I see that they brought out Mohammed Ali to throw a pitch or something... why does he get brought to these public events? He just gets a forced standing ovation, while everyone is just embarrassed for him. Then I have to hear the usual, "one of the best athletes of all time" drivel from the sportscasters while he shakes... and shakes... and shakes... and shakes.

For 99% of people who werent born in the 1970s, the guys legacy as a facepuncher doesnt matter one bit and now he is just embarrassing to watch. If anything, I think its just dessert considering how much he ran his fucking mouth back in the day.

Seriously. His health is shit. Its just awful to look at anyone like that. He needs to get away from the camera and rest in solitude.

2. Cause he's the thrilla in manilla.

And he'll knock you the fuck out.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

It was awkward to watch when I was in high school, during whatever olympics took place 5-6 years ago... I can't even imagine it now.

Canned commentary and forced applause does not equal respect. Or dignity.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

4. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    If anything, I think its just dessert considering how much he ran his fucking mouth back in the day.
    Does this mean you're going to be getting Parkinson's too?
    Last edited by Dolemite; 16 Jul 2004 at 06:27 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. Canned commentary and forced applause does not equal respect. Or dignity.
    Thats pretty much what Im saying. I mean, all these public appearances are probably the way he pays the bills, but that doesnt mean its not embarrassingly awful.

6. Does the dude even realize he's there anymore? Who can even tell?

And the reason he's lead out is he is a soft option. After all, who's going to pick on a dude with the shakes the is all fucked up, even if the the dude was a tremendous ass back in the day?
    Last edited by MVS; 16 Jul 2004 at 12:13 PM.

A celebrity always throws out the first pitch at the All-Star Game or a World Series game. It's not like we have a huge number of national celebrities that are useful. I'd rather see Ali every year than some Hollywood drivel.

8. Quote Originally Posted by MVS
    After all, who's going to pick on a dude with the shakes the is all fucked up, even if the the dude was a tremendous ass back in the day?
    Woah you're typing a bit like Iron Plant .

For years my dream match was modern day Ali versus the late, great Katherine Hepburn in a 12 round shakefest. But alas it wasn't meant to be
    Maybe Michael J. Fox versus Richard Pryor?

9. Janet Reno would kick the shit out of all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

10. When he went up to the camera and threw all those haymakers at it, I was staring at my TV with my jaw wide open, just wondering if it was all involuntary.

IMHO, It makes more sense for him to be at a MLB All Star game than Microsofts press conference at E3