Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new Videocard, which should i get?

1. Question I need a new Videocard, which should i get?

I'm so clueless when it comes to PC gaming, or PC videocards for that matter. So im in the market to buy a new videocard, money is not an issues, so should i go for the ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition? is the Nvidia 6800 as good as the X800? in some review they mention that the X800 doesnt is not pixil shader 3.0 compliant(the nvidia 6800 is).....what is pixil shading? and is it important?

and most importantly, i wanna be able to run Doom in all it's full glory

my PC specs are P4, 2.4Ghz, 1GB RAM.

thanks!

2. With either you'll be able to run Doom 3 in it's full glory. Pixel Shader 3.0 wont be important until a year from now, maybe a little more. Most games are still be developed for 2.0

3. I think since Doom has the backing of nVidia, you'd be better off going with nVidia's top of the line, though Half-Life 2 apparently runs much better on ATi hardware (and Valve never lies).

Frankly, either of those cards will run Doom III and Half-Life 2 awesome. Find a good price on one of them, and go with that, and there's very little chance you'll be disappointed. (I'd say go with ATi, but that's a personal preference).

Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok
    With either you'll be able to run Doom 3 in it's full glory. Pixel Shader 3.0 wont be important until a year from now, maybe a little more. Most games are still be developed for 2.0
    And by the time PS 3.0 stuff (Unreal Engine 3) is being used, these cards will be outdated anyway.

4. anyone that can give me a link to a retailer that has the x800xt in stock for $500 will have my eternal gratitude. i've been looking forever.

5. Quote Originally Posted by epmode
    anyone that can give me a link to a retailer that has the x800xt in stock for $500 will have my eternal gratitude. i've been looking forever.
    www.newegg.com is restocking soon, according to their website. Though the monitor I want that was supposed to be back in on the 16th isn't in yet so...

I would recommend not going insane and spending huge amounts on a video card... but I'm practical like that. I tend to buy last year's tech =/

Probably going to get a Radeon 9800 Pro soon.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

7. Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok
    With either you'll be able to run Doom 3 in it's full glory. Pixel Shader 3.0 wont be important until a year from now, maybe a little more. Most games are still be developed for 2.0

but then again that would make the X800 outdated in a years time once Pixil Shader 3 kicks in!

what's the *BEST* nvidia card available?

i think i'm going to go for the ATI X800 anyways.

8. best nvidia is the 6800 ultra. but that one's as hard to find as the x800 xt.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    I would recommend not going insane and spending huge amounts on a video card... but I'm practical like that. I tend to buy last year's tech =/

That's always good advice. Your $500 new videocard is next year's $200 old news, but it still a quality card and you save yourself a lot of scratch. I haven't found anything out right now that runs poorly on my 9800, and I expect Doom III and Half-Life 2 to be no different.

10. Its all depends on how much money are you willing to spend on this.

If you have high budget, and would want the best, then go with x800 pro or xt or newest Nvidia.

But if you on the lower budget end, 9800 Pro or XT would be more than enough to run Doom 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo

And it will be a wise investment. I wish 9800 Pros were cheaper last year when I was building my current rig (I went with 9700 Pro). Oh well, next year, I will get better one