Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you consider add-on content separate entities?

1. Do you consider add-on content separate entities?

Okay, so I'm posting this with no other agenda than my own selfish needs, but as part of the new Play website I've build together a database for products where you can get non-editorial information about said products without having to use a reviews (or whatever) database.

I just kind of ran into a possible snag, however, and I'm not sure which would be better to do. So, I wanted to get opinions.

For digital download expansion - say, the new Operation: Anchorage stuff for Fallout 3, which is what caused me to think about this - do you consider that important enough to be considered its own "release", or no? Would you want to find information about that expansion by looking under the main Fallout 3 stuff, or would you want to be able to specifically go to a product listing and filter by expansion packs, for example?

I guess the question is, do you consider expansions important enough products that they should get their own individual listing?
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. I don't. I took the Shivering Isles expansion disc off my shelf because I don't consider it separate from Oblivion. I consider expansions and DLC to all be part of the complete product, not separate, since you can't use any of them on their own without the original.

It depends.

I am thinking right now of Starcraft. The vanilla game is so different from Brood War, and yet I play both, and I look up info on the two separately, and I hate when I search for Starcraft info and get nothing but Brood War results.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

4. on...?

It depends on the situation. Obviously.

... !
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

6. STEALTH EDITING BASTARD!

7. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    Would you want to find information about that expansion by looking under the main Fallout 3 stuff, or would you want to be able to specifically go to a product listing and filter by expansion packs, for example?
    Both. If I don't know about a game and am just doing a general info search, I think expansion info should be found in the main game stuff. If I'm looking for info on an expansion specifically (like to Company of Heroes), I'd want to be able to find info on just that.

8. My two sense.

I think it should fall under the main game stuff, just in that section have a part devoted to DLC.
    Before anyone tries to bust my balls, cents.

9. Full sized expansion pack, seperate (i.e. Crysis Warhead, C&C3 Kane's Wrath). DLC map packs, no (Fallout 3 thing, Mirror's edge map pack, etc).

It depends. The Burnout bikes DLC: yes. The Castle Crashers DLC: no.