Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iTunes Problems

1. iTunes Problems

iTunes sometimes refuses to add files when using the "file>add file to library" or "file>add folder to library" options. They already have full ID3 tags, they just do not show up and i have no idea why. I checked to see if it went in unidentified but as far as i can tell they are just not there at all.

Out of the folder i just added it only took 3 of the 8 songs. Trying to select the songs individualy doesn't work either. No message comes up to say anything, they are just not there.

This isn't the first time, but before i didn't care as much. This time i NEED these songs on my iPod.

2. First, are you on a Mac or PC?
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

3. ok i have an update, i think i found one of the "missing songs". iTunes apparently doesn't recognize the ID3 v1 and v2 tags that i edited through Winamp. I found the song labeled what it was originally called before i changed it. I did all tagging before attempting to add the files, so it's not that they weren't tagged when the file was first scanned. Is there a newer tag system out there? I am using Winamp 2, due to the bloated/buggy newer editions of Winamp.

What the heck is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    First, are you on a Mac or PC?
    PC

In 2 of the songs i added the new tags were recognized. This all makes no sense to me. I really dislike iTunes.

4. hmm i just got itunes tonight, and have been putting my cds on it by ripping them from musicmatch jukebox and have been having no problems.

5. Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    I am using Winamp 2, due to the bloated/buggy newer editions of Winamp.
    try winamp 5. combines the best of 3 with the best of 2. *much* better than v3.

but if you're doing lots of id3 tag editing, stay away from winamp and use itunes, or better yet, a dedicated editor (the automation is super-useful.)
    Last edited by epmode; 22 Jul 2004 at 10:09 AM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    ok i have an update, i think i found one of the "missing songs". iTunes apparently doesn't recognize the ID3 v1 and v2 tags that i edited through Winamp. I found the song labeled what it was originally called before i changed it. I did all tagging before attempting to add the files, so it's not that they weren't tagged when the file was first scanned. Is there a newer tag system out there? I am using Winamp 2, due to the bloated/buggy newer editions of Winamp.

What the heck is going on?

PC

In 2 of the songs i added the new tags were recognized. This all makes no sense to me. I really dislike iTunes.
    I don't know why you don't just tag them in iTunes or re-rip the songs. That's what I did.

Oh wait, can't re-rip because they were downloaded from Kazaa? Too bad, stop stealing music.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    I don't know why you don't just tag them in iTunes or re-rip the songs. That's what I did.

Oh wait, can't re-rip because they were downloaded from Kazaa? Too bad, stop stealing music.
    I couldn't tag them in iTunes because i couldn't even find them in my library to get access to them (even though they were properly tagged in winamp). The tags they had were mostly blank with a few random fields filled in.

fyi, the songs were demos and samples DL'd from the band's official website. You shouldn't assuming things you don't know.

Anyway, my problem is resolved. Although i still don't know why itunes didn't recognize my previous tags.

8. I've had a problem now and then with the tags of a song acting funny because they were in an older ID3 format. I'm not sure that this is fully iTunes' fault - a lot about tagging changed in those earlier days. To be safe, I'd use iTunes to update the tag format on all of your music, and while you are tagging, make sure you have it set in iTunes' preferences that it writes all of the information directly to the file. iTunes used to only write the info to an XML file in the early days, and I cried more than a few times when I moved my music to a new location, and suddenly all of my tags were gone.

Quote Originally Posted by epmode
    try winamp 5. combines the best of 3 with the best of 2. *much* better than v3.
    It also still costs $15 just to rip your music.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

9. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    It also still costs $15 just to rip your music.
    what kind of crazy person would use winamp to rip music? i like exact audio copy + LAME, myself.

10. I used to browse my MP3 collection by directory, through the file system.

When I started to use iTunes, this presented a problem, since very few of my MP3s were tagged properly.

I used MusicMatch JukeBox's "Super Tagging" to tag all my MP3s for me. It queries a databased over the net, and finds the closest match, complete with album art. If the match isn't right, you can choose from other possible matches. Then I just imported them all into iTunes. (It's the only reason I keep MusicMatch installed: tagging downloaded MP3s.)

If you don't wanna use MusicMatch, you can try out this software:
    http://www.musicbrainz.org/