Thread: new computer!1

1. new computer!1

HOWDY!

Just got a computer 2nd hand from one of my brothers friends. Its specs are:

1ghz cpu
    512mb ram
    great sound card
    16mb voodoo 3
    19" monitor

I know, TEH POWERHOUSE!!! but I plan on upgrading it to something decent in around 2 weeks.

The Hard drives have been freshly formatted, so I have to instal an OS onto it.

I was just wondering if its normal for it to load up all bios-ish stuff at the start (like normal), and then display "PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT"? I got my brothers WinXP CD, and it won't run, but I think it might be because its a "re-installation" disc with a modified version of XP for Dells. If its just fucking up, then EEP! what could be wrong with it?

2. when installing winxp set your cd drive to the first boot device and when it says press any key to boot from the cd, do so. make your partitions and format the drives and it will say press any key to reboot, or will do it automatically in 15 seconds. then as its loading again it will say press any key to boot form the cd......DO NOT press anything or it will loop back to the format and partition options. windows should then install. after thats done go back into the bios and set your hard drive to the first boot device or you will get an error every time you try to boot.

3. Dyne, he's got a Dell system reinstall CD, that won't work.

Arjue, try getting another XP disc. I won't tell you where, but I presume you will be able to find out easily enough.

Alternatively, you might want to try Linux.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Lhadatt
    Dyne, he's got a Dell system reinstall CD, that won't work.
    ahhh missed that the first time i read it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Lhadatt
    Dyne, he's got a Dell system reinstall CD, that won't work.

Arjue, try getting another XP disc. I won't tell you where, but I presume you will be able to find out easily enough.

Alternatively, you might want to try Linux.
    yeah, I'll "get" XP later in the week off a friend.

as for Linux, no thanks! I plan on lanning with this comp quite a bit, so I need as much game support as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    when installing winxp set your cd drive to the first boot device and when it says press any key to boot from the cd, do so. make your partitions and format the drives and it will say press any key to reboot, or will do it automatically in 15 seconds. then as its loading again it will say press any key to boot form the cd......DO NOT press anything or it will loop back to the format and partition options. windows should then install. after thats done go back into the bios and set your hard drive to the first boot device or you will get an error every time you try to boot.
    Thanks dude, I totally forgot to set the boot drive