Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Western Digital 80GB External Harddrive $70 after MIR

1. Western Digital 80GB External Harddrive $70 after MIR

Western Digital 80GB External USB 2.0 HDD $69.99 shipped after rebate at Circuit City.

Circuit City has the Western Digital 80GB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive at $149.99. Send for the $50 rebate and $30 rebate. Free shipping. CIRCUIT CITY

Unfortunately, its not available on the site, so you'll have to go to the store to pick it up.

For the rebate here are the purchase dates inorder for the rebates to be valid:

$50 MIR - 07/25/04 and 07/31/04 (Circuit City Rebate)
    $30 MIR - 07/23/04 and 08/07/04 (Manufacture Rebate)

2. Damn, Its nice deal, but it only has 2MB buffer

3. Quote Originally Posted by Despair
    Damn, Its nice deal, but it only has 2MB buffer
    It should still be plenty fast for what most people would use an external drive for.

4. I just picked it up. You really get 74.9GB or so. The other GBs are for whatever (I'm no computer wiz)..but for those who are, know what its used for.

Setting it up was is as easy as putting Lego blocks together. Didnt take long. XP recognized it and installed the drivers. I transfered 10GB of movies I DLed to the harddrive and it took about less than 10 mins? I was doing other stuff on the computer at the same time that required programs opening, scanning, etc. so the time fluctuated. Only bad thing about it is there is no ON/OFF switch. Beggers cant be choosers. But I dont mind, I have it hooked up to my master command switch. So if I need it, I'll just press a button and it will turn on.

I got mine for $40 plus tax after rebates and stuff. $150 - $80 rebates = $70 - $30 giftcard.

5. Quote Originally Posted by bandit
    I just picked it up. You really get 74.9GB or so. The other GBs are for whatever (I'm no computer wiz)..but for those who are, know what its used for.
    Thats because Harddrive companies decided that despite what every operating system used, and every other hardware make in the world decided, that a Kilobyte is 1000 Bytes (Iomega used that on Zip disks too).

Not the 1024 it really is. Its "decimal vs. hexidecimal" ratings.

when you get to 80GB, it really starts to add up.

Plus you loose a little, not 5.1 GB worth, due to formatting.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

6. Quote Originally Posted by Wildkat
    Thats because Harddrive companies decided that despite what every operating system used, and every other hardware make in the world decided, that a Kilobyte is 1000 Bytes (Iomega used that on Zip disks too).

Not the 1024 it really is. Its "decimal vs. hexidecimal" ratings.

when you get to 80GB, it really starts to add up.

Plus you loose a little, not 5.1 GB worth, due to formatting.
    I have a feeling the 80GB wont be enough for me, but for $40 after giftcard and rebates, cant top that. I would of went for the 120-160GB but no rebates..except for $10 i think.

7. anyone see any new deals like this anywhere for an external HD? I can't find any current rebates anywhere. I want a 120GB western digital, but they're $170 at newegg and in the comment section people even mention how they got them for $114. I want it for $114

If I'm not mistaken, I think Josh got his 250 gig Western Digital for 250 bucks. It connects firewire or USB2, has a front and two rear USB2 hub jacks for connecting other devices, and has an auto backup feature which will back up specified directories at specified intervals. Even without all the extra shit, a buck a gig is a fair price.

9. i'll pay a buck a gig, i just don't have that many bucks. I can't afford much more than $100, maybe $150 cus i want firewire, an 8mb buffer, and a namebrand (WD, seagate). There are just no deals out there now.

10. Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    i'll pay a buck a gig, i just don't have that many bucks. I can't afford much more than $100, maybe $150 cus i want firewire, an 8mb buffer, and a namebrand (WD, seagate). There are just no deals out there now.
    If I find any external HDs I'll post it.

*EDIT*

HA! Just when I post this, I get an email..

Simpletech 120GB USB 2.0 External HD for $114.99 FREE SHIPPING
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...70&dcaid=17070
    Last edited by bandit; 24 Jan 2005 at 08:17 AM.