Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 new critical flaws in mozilla

1. I've used Firefox a bunch of times, and it also has a memory leak.

The other day after half an hour of surfing it got a bit sluggish and unresponsive. I did a ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager, and saw that Firefox was hogging 260MB of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin
    I've used Firefox a bunch of times, and it also has a memory leak.

The other day after half an hour of surfing it got a bit sluggish and unresponsive. I did a ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager, and saw that Firefox was hogging 260MB of resources.
    Yeah that shit sucks. Downloading large files also seems to hog resources like crazy. Annoying, but I'm addicted to tabbed browsing now

3. Its nice to install it on a computer and not have to worry about 320 pieces of spyware exploit installed because someone mistyped a URL.

So lets see that makes on the eploit scoreboard, Mozilla> 3 IE> 123,213,321,541
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

4. I dont use FireFox, I use the regular old Mozilla suite.

And yes, the FireFox elitism is rather annoying.

Everytime I make a post about downloading Mozilla, people are like "DURR GET FIREFOX ITS BETTER"... its the same basic codebase, asshats.

As for that 260meg memory leak thing... hmm never experienced it in regular Moz. Im sure there are memory leaks in Mozilla, just not that severe.

In any case, Mozilla/Opera users definitely should continue to evangelize. Its just a better program than IE.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Wolffen
    The default theme with version 0.9 is pretty ugly. Download the Noia Extreme theme. It's much better and makes it much cooler. Closing a lot of the sidebars helps as well.

You're probably being facetious, but in case you're not...
    Nope, I'm serious. Are there any skins that look like Safari?

6. Not sure. Is this close at all (been awhile since I've seen Safari)?

There's a couple of chromey themes, but that's one of the best. You can choose to make all the icons small if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Diffx
    Everytime I make a post about downloading Mozilla, people are like "DURR GET FIREFOX ITS BETTER"... its the same basic codebase, asshats.
    I used to be the same way (preaching Mozilla, that is). And yes, it's the same code base. But because FF was made to be as small as possible, that means it's very modular and highly extensible. Mozilla has a good number of extensions, but FF is where most of the extension activity is going on. Because they both come from the same core, they both are great products. FF just feels a little less bulky. Granted, FF is also buggier (as it still hasn't hit a 1.0 release), but it's a little more bleeding edge than Mozilla. Kinda like comparing Fedora to Red Hat Linux. You can't go wrong with either browser though.

As for that 260meg memory leak thing... hmm never experienced it in regular Moz. Im sure there are memory leaks in Mozilla, just not that severe.
    Oh, there's definitely memory leaks in both products. Most I've ever seen them get to is 70MB of memory, and that's with downloading and playing dozens of large QT movies, going to Java based sites (which does slow down Moz and FF), downloading PDF files, and having 10+ tabs open at any given time. Meanwhile, when I open Outlook 2003 on my system at work, it instantly grabs 60MB of RAM from the get go and never goes below that.

Oh, and Brotherman, thanks for posting the news. Figured I'd mention that before the thread derails in to FF-elitism talk.
    Last edited by Wolffen; 29 Jul 2004 at 10:02 PM.
    Never under any circumstance scrutinize the mastication orifice of a gratuitous herbivorous quadruped.

7. Not sure. Is this close at all (been awhile since I've seen Safari)?
    Nope. Thats not Safari. Thats the Netscape 6.x theme, I believe.

I used to be the same way (preaching Mozilla, that is). And yes, it's the same code base. But because FF was made to be as small as possible, that means it's very modular and highly extensible. Mozilla has a good number of extensions, but FF is where most of the extension activity is going on.
    I dont care. For next time, and this goes for all of you FireFox evangelists, next time I mention Mozilla dont bring FireFox up. Im happy with what I got. Leave me alone. Both of the damn things are on the main mozilla page. Let people make their own choice.

8. Mozilla is better because with the same Pinball skin it's menus and status bar are thinner than Fire Fox's, and it doesn't try pulling my Windows' theme colors to color the browser. NYUR

9. In general, most people SUCK at designing a user interfaces for skinnable apps. They're either ill-executed, look like a 3 year old made them, or way too tacky.

I haven't seen a Firefox scheme I like yet. But it's still early.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin
    In general, most people SUCK at designing a user interfaces for skinnable apps. They're either ill-executed, look like a 3 year old made them, or way too tacky.

I haven't seen a Firefox scheme I like yet. But it's still early.
    What my browser looks like. I think it's attractive.