Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best laptop for me?

1. Best laptop for me?

I'm just looking for some advice on what kind of laptop to get. I may be getting one at the begining of the upcoming school year (late August).

I will probably have a little over a grand to spend. Probably between $1000-$1300. I would like any suggestions be them PC or Mac. Basically I'd just be using the computer for word processing, internet, MP3s (I have an ipod), maybe DVD watching, AIM, maybe digital camera purposes a bit in the future, internet for both school purposes and website browsing. Playing games on it isn't really a thought although it might be nice to have 1 game on it to play when bored. This certainly isn't at the top of my concerns though.
    I thought you were gay.... i guess not.

2. Can you even get an apple laptop for under 1500?
    your mom

3. On the PC side, Dell will usually have some good deals fairly often on their laptops. You need to decide whether you want a "desktop replacement" type (i.e. huge screen, but heavy) or a bit smaller one (greater mobility, easier to take to class). Your budget is more than adequate to get a very nice laptop that will do everything you need it to.

4. UPDATE: I only have about $1000 to work with. Budget cut :-(

5. I'd suggest the 12" PowerBook with the combo drive. You can get it for $1399 with the student discount. It's a solid little machine and really lightweight (4.6 pounds) for carrying around campus, etc. It's like carrying another book with you.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tragic
    UPDATE: I only have about $1000 to work with. Budget cut :-(

7. Circuit City has a decent laptop for $750 ($980 without mail-in rebate) until the end of the week. Check the weekly ad on the site for more info on it, maybe it'll suit your needs just fine.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

8. The basic 12" iBook will run you a grand with student discount. It has plenty of bundled software and the battery life is great. You're not going to be playing too many games on a notebook, so this would be my first choice.
    www.apple.com/ibook

On the PC side you can pick up an Averatec AV3220H1 for a grand. It's got built-in WiFi which is nice, and the battery life and size is decent.
    www.averatec.com/notebooks/3200series.htm

When choosing any notebook you'll want to pay special attention to size, battery life and the screen. Processor speed and whatnot isn't terribly important for what most people use their notebooks for. I'd also suggest that you take a trip down to Best Buy and try out the display models before buying anything.

I just bought a Presario R3000 last month and the thing is fucking great considering I paid under a grand. Circuit City is always running great deal.

15.4 widescreen (consequently a heavy laptop, though)
    Athlon XP 3000+
    DVD/CD-RW
    512 DDR
    Built in Wi-fi

I love my laptop.

10. It's going to break in a few days.