Thread: Wanted: Planescape and Typing of the Dead for PC

1. Wanted: Planescape and Typing of the Dead for PC

I'm looking for these games for the PC and can't find the damn things anywhere. I used to see Planescape everywhere, not I can't find one for a non-crazy price, and Typing of the Dead I haven't seen anywhere. Even if there is a demo somewhere for Planescape, let me know as I want to try it first before I go dropping any serious cash on it. Post here or PM's are great, thanks.

2. You're right to be seeking these games. You should be downright desperate to pick up Torment. I just checked ebay and copies are selling in the $25-50 range. That's not insane. I paid $55 for it new back in the day but would've gladly shelled out twice that if I'd known how utterly brilliant it was going to be.

3. I'm not a fan of trying to outbid someone, I'm more a buy it now guy, and the only copies on half/amazon are like over $60. I'm not willing to pay over $25 for this mint, as most old PC games I couldn't pay someone to take them off me, and I would imagine they would reprint Planescape being as you can still buy the Baulder's Gate series, etc. I actually found X-xom on DOS CD rom for $2 in Bestbuy of all places, so a newer game like this should be avaliable somewhere....and Typing of the dead I haven't seen, it's on amazon.co.uk, but they won't ship to the US. I've emailed some sellers on Amazon.co.uk and are waiting to hear from them. Anyone know of some Europe internet sellers that have either of these games, like a play-asia or ncsx type site? And I still want to play a demo of Planescape first if possible, to see if it's my cup of tea....I ordered Arcanum on Amazon for $10 because this seems like a Planescape type of game, and I like RPG's with alternate settings more than straight fantasy stuff...

P.S. - With the backlog of unplayed games I have, I'm not really desperate for anything outside of having before it gets crazy expensive. I'm just starting Quake II Quad Damage pack because of owning a shitty PC for a good while, so you can see how far back I am. I intend to play my Ultima collection, Ultima IX Dragoon box, and the Theif series soon as well, so I have quite a ways to go....
    Last edited by salt_peanuts; 19 Aug 2004 at 12:12 AM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by salt_peanuts
    I'm not a fan of trying to outbid someone, I'm more a buy it now guy, and the only copies on half/amazon are like over $60. I'm not willing to pay over $25 for this mint, as most old PC games I couldn't pay someone to take them off me, and I would imagine they would reprint Planescape being as you can still buy the Baulder's Gate series, etc. I actually found X-xom on DOS CD rom for $2 in Bestbuy of all places, so a newer game like this should be avaliable somewhere....and Typing of the dead I haven't seen, it's on amazon.co.uk, but they won't ship to the US. I've emailed some sellers on Amazon.co.uk and are waiting to hear from them. Anyone know of some Europe internet sellers that have either of these games, like a play-asia or ncsx type site? And I still want to play a demo of Planescape first if possible, to see if it's my cup of tea....I ordered Arcanum on Amazon for $10 because this seems like a Planescape type of game, and I like RPG's with alternate settings more than straight fantasy stuff...

P.S. - With the backlog of unplayed games I have, I'm not really desperate for anything outside of having before it gets crazy expensive. I'm just starting Quake II Quad Damage pack because of owning a shitty PC for a good while, so you can see how far back I am. I intend to play my Ultima collection, Ultima IX Dragoon box, and the Theif series soon as well, so I have quite a ways to go....
    Sounds just like me. I'm 2-5 years behind depending on the genre. I'm just interested in way too many games and buy far more than I'll ever complete in a lifetime. The only thing that will save me at this point is an industry crash.

I have the big Ultima IX box that came with the Ultima Collection CD too. I used to think I'd get through most of those but came to my senses a few years ago. I still would like to give at least IX another try though, bugs and all (what I played on my old PC showed promise). Thief Gold is my 2nd favorite game of all time (1st favorite PC title [Torment is my 2nd favorite PC title, 4th overall incidentally]) but I still haven't finished Thief 2 (which keeps me from Thief 3).

Anyway, I hear ya about wanting to get games before they get too pricey even though you may not get around to playing them for years. And I don't think they'll reprint Torment since sales were apparently dismal (I used to see beat-up copies of the original box marked down to $10). Don't know of any Torment demos but if you've played Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, it's exactly the same but 10 times cooler in almost every way save graphics -- music, characters, setting, writing, quests, items, etc. -- and I love BG and IWD.

You might want to consider Typing of the Dead for DC. Might be easier to find/less expensive, I don't know. You'll need a DC keyboard obviously.

5. Yeah, you're just like me when it comes to games...I'm years behind, but I buy them if they're cheap and I find them. I still only buy what I know I'll like or is good, so I don't ever rent. I know I'll get to at least most of them sooner or later, but if it's avaliable and cheap, I don't mind it sitting on my shelf for years if need be. I don't see how its any different than people who buy books or records and have a massive collection, but don't know when exactly they'll get around to them, just eventually. It's nice to know I have a particular game if it ever gets rare, and I want to play it.

But anyway, I used to see Planescape all the time in EB and such for like $10, and no one ever bought it. I wasn't into PC games all that much back then, but I hear so much good about it now, and it's one of the few I can't find. Plus, sometimes other games expand my interest into similar games I may have missed or passed up on. I recently started KOTOR, and even though I don't care for Star Wars at all, it hooked me, and that makes me want to pick up similar games. I think the same people that made Planescape made KOTOR? I have Baulders Gate 1 and the Collector Edition of 2 which is nice, and I know I'll get to those, but I never saw anyone into Planescape when it was out...

Oh, and I do have Typing of the Dead for DC, but it's a hassle to set up and type on the couch, I'd rather have this to kill time during the numerous hours I already kill in front of my PC

Quote Originally Posted by Compass
    Sounds just like me. I'm 2-5 years behind depending on the genre. I'm just interested in way too many games and buy far more than I'll ever complete in a lifetime. The only thing that will save me at this point is an industry crash.

I have the big Ultima IX box that came with the Ultima Collection CD too. I used to think I'd get through most of those but came to my senses a few years ago. I still would like to give at least IX another try though, bugs and all (what I played on my old PC showed promise). Thief Gold is my 2nd favorite game of all time (1st favorite PC title [Torment is my 2nd favorite PC title, 4th overall incidentally]) but I still haven't finished Thief 2 (which keeps me from Thief 3).

Anyway, I hear ya about wanting to get games before they get too pricey even though you may not get around to playing them for years. And I don't think they'll reprint Torment since sales were apparently dismal (I used to see beat-up copies of the original box marked down to $10). Don't know of any Torment demos but if you've played Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, it's exactly the same but 10 times cooler in almost every way save graphics -- music, characters, setting, writing, quests, items, etc. -- and I love BG and IWD.

You might want to consider Typing of the Dead for DC. Might be easier to find/less expensive, I don't know. You'll need a DC keyboard obviously.

6. I might be able to hook you up with a TotD for PC. PM or email me if you are interested.

7. Update: Someone on this board is selling me their Planescape, and I found an Amazon seller on amazon.co.uk that will ship TOTD to me, $25 total for the game and shipping, so I should be good to go hopefully We'll see...

8. Quote Originally Posted by salt_peanuts
    Yeah, you're just like me when it comes to games...I'm years behind, but I buy them if they're cheap and I find them. I still only buy what I know I'll like or is good, so I don't ever rent. I know I'll get to at least most of them sooner or later, but if it's avaliable and cheap, I don't mind it sitting on my shelf for years if need be. I don't see how its any different than people who buy books or records and have a massive collection, but don't know when exactly they'll get around to them, just eventually. It's nice to know I have a particular game if it ever gets rare, and I want to play it.

But anyway, I used to see Planescape all the time in EB and such for like $10, and no one ever bought it. I wasn't into PC games all that much back then, but I hear so much good about it now, and it's one of the few I can't find. Plus, sometimes other games expand my interest into similar games I may have missed or passed up on. I recently started KOTOR, and even though I don't care for Star Wars at all, it hooked me, and that makes me want to pick up similar games. I think the same people that made Planescape made KOTOR? I have Baulders Gate 1 and the Collector Edition of 2 which is nice, and I know I'll get to those, but I never saw anyone into Planescape when it was out...

Oh, and I do have Typing of the Dead for DC, but it's a hassle to set up and type on the couch, I'd rather have this to kill time during the numerous hours I already kill in front of my PC
    Ha, we're totally the same. Check it out: I don't like Star Wars either but I plan to prolly play KOTOR at some point (which will be my first SW game ever) just because Bioware developed it (they did Baldur's Gate but not Torment or Icewind Dale -- Black Isle Studios did those). I don't ever rent games either because the first few hours of a new game are the most exciting/fun and I don't want that spoiled. I know the kind of stuff I like at this point for the most part and even when I do end up with something crappy it's not a big deal. I can always sell it later (but probably won't). Plus, some of my favorite games ever, I hated the first hour or two (Bangai-O, for instance). So if I'd just rented it I wouldn't have had the chance to go back and discover its greatness later.

And I have the DC TotD too but rarely play it 'cause of the hassle either. I also have the BGII and IWDII collector's editions waiting for me on the shelf (not to mention Arcanum and Fallout 2...).

Anyway, cool that you've found Torment for a decent price. The 640x480 resolution limit is a damper but if you can make your peace with that (much easier if you haven't played BGII or the IWDs yet with their support for much higher resolutions), you're in for a true classic.