Thread: City of God

1. City of God

I've been meaning to see this for a while, but the only theatres showing it were to far away. The DVD has come out recently, and turns out this movie lives up to all the praise it has received. It's a damn shame this movie was robbed durring the last Oscars.

So, who else has seen this?

2. its at my videoshop, but I never pick it up for some reason. I really should get it.

3. Its a very good movie, suffers in the 2nd viewing though.

4. Pretty good flick. Sorta like a blend of Trainspotting, Lock Stock and Goodfellas, but not quite in the class of either. Stylish as hell. A well-done, urban-situated (Rio de Janiero's #1 ghetto) crime drama that I'd put up there with Fresh.
    Last edited by Gooch; 30 Jul 2004 at 04:47 PM.

5. Get that F*&KIN CHICKEN!

I could imagine a producer pitching this flick in the U.S. -

It's Goodfellas (a bunch of gangstas) meets Belly (shot with stylish cinematography) meets Amelie (we'll see the past story of every character) meets Pecker (a roaming kid with a camera) meets any story about a young man going from boy to man (kid loses his virginity, becomes a success).

This film is an EPIC. It encompasses so many styles. The director is playful, but the story has substance, so it's balanced.

Seen it four times, there's just too much going on for one to tire after repeat vieweings. It's a different movie every time.

6. Quote Originally Posted by sean126
    Seen it four times, there's just too much going on for one to tire after repeat vieweings. It's a different movie every time.
    Yeah, I dont agree with diffx's "suffers in the second viewing" comment either. Great flick, based on a true story. Lil 'Ze shooting the little kid in the foot and watching him cry is one of the most disturbing movie moments ever.