Page 16 of 78 FirstFirst ... 21214151617182030 ... LastLast

Thread: Opie and Anthony

1. Quote Originally Posted by PBMax
    I listened to them today -- for the first time, being an admitted Howard fan.

The show was terrible. In two hours I don't think I laughed once.

I'll listen again, because really there aren't many choices, but I hope these guys have a lot more than what they showed today.
    Just give it some time, it's hard to get into it in just one show. Plus, it's different now that they're on CBS, they still have things to work out and need some time to get back into their rhythm.

2. Quote Originally Posted by PBMax
    You're right, their first terrestrial show wasn't all that good - it got better after 9 though. It's gonna take them a few weeks to learn this style of radio again - they are used to going an hour or more without interruptions. The station suits were breathing down their neck and the flow was definately not there. Also, Anthony's voice was shot and he couldn't do his impersonations, which are a big part of the show.

We'll see how it goes - I may just start tuning in at 9, they actually did 2.5 hours at XM today. And they were bitching about the two studios thing, they'd like that changed.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Buzzatronic
    Jumping the gun? You're saying my prediction regarding what will happen within a few weeks is jumping the gun by using a single show as evidence to the contrary?
    Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying.
    You are coming to a premature conclusion based on insufficient evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzatronic
    Today's show may have been great ... that's great but I stand by my opinion that what they did Monday and Tuesday in prep for the "clean" show sucked and within a few weeks (maybe longer) the XM show will suffer because of it.
    Yesterday's (Tuesday's) show wasn't clean at all...

I love the show (they are one reason I got XM) but I don't think it'll be possible for them to keep doing what I love about them on XM while keeping it clean for CBS.
    That's the great part. They don't have to. They're basically doing 2 shows now. A "clean" (but still pretty raunchy) show on CBS, which, despite all the doomsaying about the FCC crackdown, evidently still lets them get away with plenty (someone dropped a "suck my ass" this morning which went unbleeped), and then up to 3 more hours for them to do the awful shit CBS lawyers wouldn't allow, like raping Patti and assaulting Paul. The XM segment of today's show was gold.

Plus it sucks that the XM version of O&A is now cut down to 2 hours. Even if they can pull this off without changing how the XM version of their show sounds ... best case scenario is they don't water it down but we are still getting less of it.
    Actually, they have 3 hours, but they're only obligated to 2. They now have the option to go until noon if they have something good going. Today they went a little past 11:30.

Now, they never spend a full 2 hours each show doing the kind of stuff you can't do on CBS. So now they have up to 3 hours each day at their disposal to get dirty, and that's all the really need. The first part of the show is going to get some great celebrity guests and shit, and then their dirty comedian friends can roll in at 9 for the XM segment. It worked well today, and I don't see why that can't continue.

Quote Originally Posted by PBMax
    I listened to them today -- for the first time, being an admitted Howard fan.

I'll listen again, because really there aren't many choices, but I hope these guys have a lot more than what they showed today.
    It'll take time. There's a lot of inside jokes and such. It'll take a couple weeks for it to click.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    someone dropped a "suck my ass" this morning which went unbleeped
    I think this proves my point more than anything.

They got to say "suck my ass" and we're supposed to be happy.

I'm listening to the replay now off and on and I'm hearing more funny stuff in the XM breaks than in the show. That's never a good sign.

They seem reserved to just "go off" on something stupid/funny because they are afraid to let a fuck or shit slip out in the process.

These guys were funny because they talked like everyone I know talks. That's something people can identify with. I don't think that'll be the case for the CBS version of the show.

5. Can you guys take Dice back already? Today was the second time in a month he was on Howard. I can't stand Dice, he's so lame. (take Ferrell too)

6. Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    Can you guys take Dice back already? Today was the second time in a month he was on Howard. I can't stand Dice, he's so lame. (take Ferrell too)
    No thank you. Anthony's Dice impression >>>> Real Dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzatronic
    These guys were funny because they talked like everyone I know talks. That's something people can identify with. I don't think that'll be the case for the CBS version of the show.
    Did you listen to the old show, or are you new to the show since they went to XM?

I think the show has gotten better for the lack of restrictions, but the WNEW show was very good, and did sound natural. I think the big audience bringing in big guests and more non-trucker callers and such is going to help the show as long as they still have a few hours a day to be evil.

I do think Bill Burr 6-9 and Norton 9-12 would work better though, since Norton's probably the worst at working clean, but that ain't going to happen.

7. Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    Can you guys take Dice back already? Today was the second time in a month he was on Howard. I can't stand Dice, he's so lame. (take Ferrell too)
    lol, you can keep that has been.

Only thing I don't like so far is how many damn breaks they take for terrestrial. XM plays XM bits and shit, but it's still a break and really fucks up the flow of the show.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy
    Only thing I don't like so far is how many damn breaks they take for terrestrial. XM plays XM bits and shit, but it's still a break and really fucks up the flow of the show.
    When howard left CBS was making him take 22 min of break an hour during the holiday season and i think 18min per hour non-holiday season.

9. Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    When howard left CBS was making him take 22 min of break an hour during the holiday season and i think 18min per hour non-holiday season.
    Yeah, it's the same everywhere. Seems to be close to that now as well. But like I said, I just skip the commercials, so no worries.

10. I still say that if I got XM for uncensored O&A and got stuck with this bullshit I'd be pissed. People who can listen to XM all day long can spin this however they like, but it's a real negative for XM owners, most of which I'm sure are at their jobs by 9AM and only listen to O&A while on the way to work. They paid to get O&A uncensored and they had it taken away.

I'm not an O&A fan, nor do I have XM, but I still think it's unfair. If this happened with Stern's show I'd flip out.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 26 Apr 2006 at 04:26 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww