Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: Opie and Anthony

1. The local radio biz is crackling with rumors that Opie and Anthony, former morning team on WNEW (102.7 FM) and currently on XM Satellite Radio, will sign a syndication deal with CBS Radio that could include replacing David Lee Roth, current morning man on WFNY (92.3 FM).

So far nothing official has been said, and a CBS spokeswoman yesterday that the company would maintain its policy of not commenting on rumors. CBS did send out a press advisory listing Roth's guests for the coming week.

Opie and Anthony also declined comment on their XM show Friday, but in an interview last month, Opie said they were talking with unnamed companies about returning to terrestrial radio "when the deal is right for everyone."

This would likely mean continuation of their XM show, where they like the lack of content controls. But "90% or more of our show," Anthony said, would be suitable for broadcast radio, so a syndication deal would likely use an edited version.

CBS took O&A off WNEW after the infamous August 2002 "sex in St. Patrick's" incident. But by then they were a hit, and CBS' respect for their radio appeal is reflected in the fact the company paid them to sit out for two years rather than risk their being picked up by a competitor.
    On today's show, the guys confirmed that the rumors are indeed true. With Mel Karmazin and other Stern loyalists gone, and with FreeFM's lineup floundering and in dire need of a proven show that can hit their demo, it seems that the powers that be at CBS have decided to forgive and forget. The exact plan is unlear, and obviously no deals have been inked, but their contract at XM is not an exclusive one, and they can simulcast or replay their show anywhere else they choose.

Could get interesting.

2. I read this today, CBS Radio are stupid if they do it.

Why would you provide the public with a free sample of a show, encouraging them to buy satellite and get the whole unedited show? Morons.

Unless the head of that division is so pissed off at Howard Stern, he is just looking to get under his skin. Which is laughable.

3. First of all, I think CBS are pricks for not giving Diamond Dave a shot. You cant build an audience in 3 months... they're real assholes. I also think its funny they made a big deal out of moving away from Stern's offerings (ad in Variety et. al.) and then want... O&A. lol.

Also you gotta wonder if XM is feeling the heat because Stern made such a big splash and O&A are running behind right now. It goes both ways, and it can be beneficial to both parties.
    Last edited by diffusionx; 13 Mar 2006 at 01:55 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by toxic
    I read this today, CBS Radio are stupid if they do it.

Why would you provide the public with a free sample of a show, encouraging them to buy satellite and get the whole unedited show? Morons.
    Because there are probably a lot more tightwads out there who just want something entertaining on the ride to work and don't want sattelite than there are people who can stomach the shit they have on now.

It all depends on how they handle it. There's some implication that they might do the last hour as an XM exclusive or something like that. It will likely be some kind of simulcast, so it's not like they'd be getting a day old bleeped show.

5. Because most people won't buy it

6. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    First of all, I think CBS are pricks for not giving Diamond Dave a shot. You cant build an audience in 3 months... they're real assholes. I also think its funny they made a big deal out of moving away from Stern's offerings and then want... O&A. lol.
    It's not funny at all, it's common sense. CBS were fuck ups for canning their show in the first place, they lost a ton of money in the deal, and they know they were wrong. O&A and Stern had a HUGE crossover audience in a lot of markets. It's a name that the audience will recognize and a show that has proven success with that demographic.

And dude, Roth's show is TERRIBLE. Time will only hurt things.

Also you gotta wonder if XM is feeling the heat because Stern made such a big splash and O&A are running behind right now. It goes both ways, and it can be beneficial to both parties.
    Doubtful. Sirius got a big boost last quarter, but now XM has gone back to outselling Sirius, as predicted. XM didn't put a lot of stock in O&A to begin with, and they've exceeded their expectations. I doubt that it's a motivating factor, and it's been implied that XM doesn't want this deal to go down.

7. Doubtful. Sirius got a big boost last quarter, but now XM has gone back to outselling Sirius, as predicted. XM didn't put a lot of stock in O&A to begin with, and they've exceeded their expectations. I doubt that it's a motivating factor, and it's been implied that XM doesn't want this deal to go down.
    You're such an XM Fanboy. <3 <3

8. I don't think the simulcast will work because O&A will run the risk of being fined by the FCC for whatever is considered "objectionable and offensive" content. Even with the terrestrial radio stations handling the dump button, the rules have been changed to where the performers are fined for infractions. Furthermore, O&A would have to self-censor themselves during the simulcast broadcast, and part of the whole appeal of satellite is that the performers can say whatever they want without fear of being censored or fined. If such a deal where to take place, it would have to be a pre-recorded, edited version of the show.

While the deal could help CBS Radio short-term with a ratings increase, it would also undercut CBS Radio because any new listeners gained from the O&A terrestrial broadcast would eventually be lost to satellite radio when they want to listen to the entire uncensored show.
    Last edited by Cowdisease; 13 Mar 2006 at 02:10 PM.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

9. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    I'm just stating facts. It seems unlikely that they'd have a reason to be sweating. And I kind of took a jab at them too, for not investing anything in promoting O&A.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowdisease
    While the deal could help CBS Radio short-term with a ratings increase, it would also undercut CBS Radio because any new listeners gained from the O&A terrestrial broadcast would eventually be lost to satellite radio when they want to listen to the entire uncensored show.
    David Lee Roth is doing more to drive people to Satellite than O&A ever could. A good show will be good for CBS.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 13 Mar 2006 at 02:55 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    When you look at facts, you tend to say truthful things.

Frog, did you catch Patrices show on Saturday night? I missed it.
    Last edited by Rumpy; 13 Mar 2006 at 03:01 PM.