Page 73 of 78 FirstFirst ... 5969717273747577 ... LastLast

Thread: Opie and Anthony

1. Opie and Anthony

Ant's doing a free show Monday afternoon, and I'm sure Opie will be talking about it that morning. So at least both shows will be compelling for the first time in a good while.

Poor little Jimmy is like the kid caught up in an ugly divorce.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

2. Ron and Anthony would be the greatest show

3. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

tl;dr... Two grown men in their 50s can't talk it out in person.
    I'm shocked to learn that Opie and Anthony are in fact immature manchildren. Never would have guessed.

4. Ron and Fez are still together?

5. Well...
    Fez announced he was retiring on Wednesday, which just happened to be April fools days. Friday was supposedly the last show. It remains to be seen if it's a work or not.

6. I didn't get much out of the twitter war, but this weeks shows have certainly been interesting. Ant did a show airing out a fuckload of dirty laundry on his show yesterday, and today opie fired back with a lot more emotion. Opie seems to have gotten some of what was said wrong, but he came off more hurt than anything, choking back tears. Jim seemed uncomfortable and mostly quiet but defended Ant on a few points. I tend to side with Opie that Ant's anger and racial rants were taking over the show too often, but a lot of the Opie stuff seems more about what was off air.

7. Sounds super embarrassing.

8. It was really uncomfortable and didn't leave much hope for a reunion.

The best thing to come out of it is that apparently (according to Ant anyway) Ron and Anthony might be a thing now that Fez is out of the picture.

9. The Ron and Anthony show would be the greatest thing ever broadcast.

I hope something happens, and we have a listenable show again. Hats off to Ant for making a go of it, but he's just not as good without someone to bounce things back and force. Certainly not worth paying for.

Opie's show is cringe-inducing. Not even Jim can save it. It doesn't help that Opie has no sense of comedic timing; he's constantly steamrolling Jimmy at those times when Ant would run with the situation.

I hung in there for a while on Audible, but it seemed like every day Opie would respond to reasonable, respectful criticism with "IS THAT YOUR PROBLEM TODAAAAAY?" or something similar. "The Destroyer" was coming off like a whiny, butthutt little bitch all the time, so I had to tap out.

Or, as the Opster would say, "I guess the show has just passed you by!" Yup, I guess it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

10. Ron is at the top of a very short list of people that I think could pull off a great show with Ant. Anthony is such a strong personality that he tends to rant and steamroll everyone around him unless there's someone who can really hold their own there to balance him out and, occasionally, shut him down. Ron can do it, Patrice can do it, and maybe a couple other comics, but Opie and Jim couldn't anymore, and the yes-men he has around him now even less.

I like the O&J show better than the solo Ant show. Opie himself is pretty awful, and is even cringeworthy embarrassing when attempting to do interviews, but he's done a good job of building a stable of good people around him to keep things going. Sherrod and Florentine have especially been great additions to the show. Opie's strength has always been more as the director of the show than as someone who tells jokes on mic.