Page 75 of 78 FirstFirst ... 61717374757677 ... LastLast

Thread: Opie and Anthony

1. Ant always liked Howard. Opie is ridiculously insecure so he rails on him and his wife's cat adoption shit like once a year now. They were feuding when they were competing with eachother, now they're on the same platform who gives a shit.

2. Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlame View Post
    I don't listen to Stern much, but the whole Opie & Anthony feud always came off as desperately one-sided. The impression that Anthony did, was kind of amusing back in the day, because there is a fair bit of truth to their complaints, but also seems like something O & A should have long since moved on from if what you're saying is true.
    He was being sarcastic, sir.

3. ME: That's the bit! Nice try with the hate tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

4. It's a shame that this once great show, that I really got into in 2009, ended with the whimper of two 50-something men who lack the ability/will to hold a simple conversation.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. It ended because Ant was flying off the rails into paranoid delusions of a coming race war and became unemployable as a result. The spat with Opie is sort of irrelevant in the end.

6. Are there any SiriusXM talk shows worth listening to anymore?
    I gave up on O&A long before they gave up on each other, and though I've not listened to either O&J or TACS since they began neither spin off seemed all that listenable at that time.
    I finally got my wish and Fez left radio, but Bennington hasn't exactly filled the void left by Ron and Fez' ending. I like Gail well enough, but she doesn't seem to do much other than echo Ron's opinions and we already have Fartmouth Stanley for that. As compelling as daily seven minute live reads for Tito's vodka can be, I've all but lost interest in the show. Contrary to what he may believe, Ron definitely self censors himself with Gail in the room and there's hardly ever any actual discussion between them since she's more or less her father's daughter.
    I just started listening to Soder and Oakerson's Bonfire show, so the jury is still out on that. I have no faith in Nagel or Roberts so I haven't given them a listen.
    But I need something to listen to during my daily 2 hour commute. Is there anything decent on this platform or should I just cancel the subscription and look into more podcasts?

7. I like Bennington. Gail's not an equal partner, but no one is going to. She's just there to facilitate, and she does it better than Chris or Fez. Race Wars is pretty entertaining, but there's a podcast version of that as well.

8. There's no back and forth, it's just...forth. I would never go so far as to say she makes the show worse, she absolutely doesn't. I just don't think she does anything to make it better.
    And there's just a lot to dislike. I'm tired of Titos. I'm tired of listening to Chris get bitched out because he's more interested in doing drugs and slurping alcohol than being a producer. Seriously, how many times does your boss have to bitch about lack of production, tapping, and just saying we need to break instead of pantomiming it before you do more than promise to change? How many times do we have to hear Ron bitch about this stuff before he actually does something about it? The team has learned over the years that he's all bark and no bite when it comes down to it. Like the day Dan was late because he had an interview, could Ron just say "hey, while you have a job here, you're expected to be here"? No, instead he bitched and moaned about it for the rest of the show. The show always ending with tomorrow being 1974 is fitting because it feels like fucking groundhog day over and over. Ron's also fallen into the "you know what I mean" verbal crutch. It's "literally" every other sentence.
    I don't know, maybe I'm just burned out after a decade. But I keep hearing the same stories over and over (and not just from Gurian) and there isn't much laughter coming outta my mouth anymore.

9. Ditch that drivel and find yourself some podcasts.

10. I listen to the free podcast because a little Jim is better than no Jim. O&A apart are unlistenable. Stern has gone full SJW, to the point of scrubbing archive shows of words like "retard." Bennington is always good, but not enough to give money to SXM.

I was into Penn's Sunday School for a while, but he kinda ran out of gas (more libertarianism, less atheism would be a nice kick in the pants). I listen to Michael Savage for now--not for his politics, some of which horrify me. But because he's a cantankerous old man who finds the hateable facet of any person or thing, and that always amuses me. Plus, he's a great storyteller.