Page 9 of 78 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: Opie and Anthony

1. I've never once heard an O&A caller. Bubba doesn't screen calls either so it should be easy to get right in.
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert

2. http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/sto...04-20-12-46-15

Sources: Roth on Way Out As Radio Host

By LARRY McSHANE
    Associated Press Writer

AP Photo/DIANE BONDAREFF
    More Entertainment
    Adblock
    Advertisement

NEW YORK (AP) -- No surprise: David Lee Roth's run as morning radio host is about done. Big surprise: It appears raunchy satellite radio stars Opie and Anthony will replace him on seven CBS Radio stations.

A deal was in the works to dump the ex-Van Halen singer's ratings-deprived program with shock jocks Greg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, according to two people with knowledge of the deal. They spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity pending an official announcement of the agreement next week.

Opie and Anthony were banished from terrestrial radio in 2002 - oddly enough by their new boss, CBS Radio - after airing a live account of listeners having sex in New York's St. Patrick's Cathedral. CBS Radio was then known as Infinity Broadcasting.

Opie and Anthony resurfaced on XM in October 2004. The satellite radio provider has more than 6.5 million subscribers, with the Opie and Anthony show one of the most popular programs on its 170 channels.

XM will now syndicate the program to the stations in New York and six other markets, with three hours of the program airing on the CBS Radio stations, the people familiar with the deal said. XM will simultaneously broadcast that portion of the show, along with another two hours of exclusive O&A, they said.

A spokeswoman at CBS Radio declined to comment on the report, as did a spokesman for XM.

Roth's radio career began in January, when he replaced Howard Stern on the CBS stations. But reviews were poor and Roth fought with management over the show's format, putting the show on the skids less than four months into its run.

Roth, during one angry on-air rant, predicted the show could be yanked before May.

Buy AP Photo Reprints

The move marks a shift in the dynamic between terrestrial and satellite radio. In the past, satellite raided terrestrial radio for big-name hosts such as Opie and Anthony or Stern. Now, the seven FM stations will rely on a syndicated satellite program.

In addition to the Free-FM station in New York, Opie and Anthony will reportedly air on WBCN-FM in Boston, WYSP-FM in Philadelphia, WRKZ-FM in Pittsburgh, WNCX-FM in Cleveland, WPBZ-FM in West Palm Beach, Fla., and KLLI-FM in Dallas.

Stern, who engaged in a lengthy on-air feud with Opie and Anthony, is in his first year of broadcasting for Sirius Satellite Radio. O&A will now fill in his old time slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

3. I'm really curious about the type of restrictions Free FM will impose on the O&A syndicated shows, assuming this deal becomes official. For one thing, there can be no mention of XM Radio on the O&A show, especially with the bullshit lawsuit CBS Radio has against Howard Stern for improperly promoting Sirius during his last year in broadcast.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

4. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Because CREAM.
    Get the money. Dolla, dolla bill ya'll.
    Time for a change

5. Quote Originally Posted by Hot Like Wasabi
    how did they take over Bubba and Ferrel? Do you even listen to those shows?
    The first version of Ferrell's show was absolutely demolished by O&A callers. Pretty much every single call he took on those shows was some inside O&A joke. They kept track. I beleive it was 62 O&A callers and non O&A callers one night. Now he does a show without callers.

Didn't hear much of an attack on Bubba though. I think he might be misinformed about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    No one cares about O&A.
    They will dominate in ratings in those six markets. No question. This much I'm sure of. They did very well for themselves at Infinity before they blew up and they've proven to consistently dominate their demo, especially in the notheast. They also have a massive following among howard fans in New York and Philly which puts them in a prime position to recover what's left of his displaced audience.

The arrangement sounds alright to me. Having restrictions for part of the show does kind of suck, but 2 hours uncencored is a fine compromise, and the mere fact that I'm getting 5 hours of show instead of 4 will make me feel like I'm not getting cheated.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 20 Apr 2006 at 03:02 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Hot Like Wasabi
    I've never once heard an O&A caller. Bubba doesn't screen calls either so it should be easy to get right in.
    I think they've left Bubba alone for awhile now. He hasn't been mentioned since Bubba said he wanted to fight Opie and told him to name a time and place. So Opie did and then Todd, I mean Bubba, said he couldn't find a babysitter in time to get to new york. Apparently one of Bubbas favorite bits is setting up fights with other jocks for charity or some shit.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Hot Like Wasabi
    how did they take over Bubba and Ferrel? Do you even listen to those shows?
    I don't listen to either of them. Bubba comes across as too redneck and Ferrel just sounds like a retarded, craizer Danny Bonaduce.

Really, anything on either of the Howard stations other than Howard's show itself is a waste, especially the Howard 100 News (which is the most innane, useless program ever). Howard would be better served by firing the 17-person H100 News staff and using that money to bring back George Takei.

The smartest thing Stern's done so far with his programming is repeating his morning show all day on channel 100 and leaving everything else (Bubba, Ferrel, etc.) on 101.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 20 Apr 2006 at 03:11 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

8. They never called in an attack on Bubba or anything. I think a few scattered fans made a couple calls, but nothing like the thrashing they sent to Farell where they just destroyed his show.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    Really, anything on either of the Howard stations other than Howard's show itself is a waste, especially the Howard 100 News (which is the most innane, useless program ever). Howard would be better served by firing the 17-person H100 News staff and using that money to bring back George Takei.
    Tissue Time with Heidi Cortez?

10. Nuclear phonecalls x 1,000,000!!!!!!!

It sounds fine for O&A fans now, but this will end poorly. It's very evident that CBS radio is run by morons. They better pay Dave his 2 year contract.