Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 637375767778 LastLast

Thread: Opie and Anthony

1. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    So Opie put the word out that he is no longer doing morning radio, he's no longer doing radio with Jim Norton, and Jim and Sam will be doing mornings from here on out. It was pretty obvious they were testing the waters with it these past couple weeks, this just cements it. Between Ant's revelations after his firing, and now Jim firing shots on Twitter, I can't imagine what a miserable fucking experience it must have been working with Opie.

But yeah, this is a good move. The Jim/Sam shows were the funniest radio I've heard in years.
    It sounds to me like more of his usual playing chicken around contract negotiation time. Anthony always hated him for it, but it does seem like a tactic to me. I guess we'll see. Sam could probably do a solid job. Bennington merger is still the dream team.

2. I tried listening to Bennington last week for the first time in ages. Still not a very good show!
    Ron can be amazing, but Gail was/is in no way ready to be in the pilot's seat. Pepper is a still a mess it seems. Can't say much about Vito, but he never stood out to me when he was an intern- aside from being there.

3. I'll admit, I never much cared for Sam in the O&A days. His voice is irritating, and his push to make everything about "professional" "wrestling" was even more irritating. But after hearing Opie bomb over the past couple years, and the parade of unfunny twats he routinely had on (Sherrod, Vic, etc.), and hearing the actual chemistry Sam had with Jim during the trial shows, I really think this could be good.

I'm sure he's still doing the "playing chicken" thing (in the video he alludes to still being in negotiations), but he's not even a little bit vague about the split with Jim or doing morning radio again. He was nowhere near that specific in previous renewal seasons. My guess is he will do some afternoon show that's more music-oriented.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

4. I love Sherrod, and he's good friends with Jim long before Opie ever invited him on. I don't mind Vic, either. Nothing can top the days of Bill Burr and Patrice as regulars, but what are you going to do?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I love Sherrod, and he's good friends with Jim long before Opie ever invited him on. I don't mind Vic, either. Nothing can top the days of Bill Burr and Patrice as regulars, but what are you going to do?
    I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he's never said anything funny on the radio (I'm unfamiliar with his act so I'll avoid any sweeping comments about his talent). Some of that might be the stifling Opie Effect, so maybe he'll go on the Jim show and hit it out of the park.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

6. Is this the video you mentioned? I can't understand shit he's saying in the middle when the music gets loud. It sounds like he's saying he got "fired"/asked for too much money and they declined. He sounds kinda pissed about it like Jim stabbed him in the back. Which might be true. I guess he thought he was the bigger name, and without Ant, he wasn't anymore.

Last edited by Frogacuda; 27 Sep 2016 at 05:56 PM.

7. Yup, that would be it. I think he's saying he wasn't fired (technically true if they simply allowed contract to lapse). Most likely negotiations have stalled--it's hard to tell because of the background noise.

If he feels betrayed by Jim for not having his back with Sirius, well, it doesn't get much more poetic than that.

8. Jim and Sam respond:

9. Imagine that, Jim wants to work and not dick around behind the scenes for weeks on end. Opie's ego has been beaten with a paddle for years and he can't understand why people don't want to deal with his nonsense. He's pulled the victim card before and it's embarassing. Dude needs to realize his best years are behind him and should be happy he's got a great paying gig in a brutal industry.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Jim and Sam respond:
    So it's pretty much as everyone has surmised for a while now. I wonder how many more times this has to happen before Opie maybe gets the idea that it's not everyone else being the unreasonable asshole.