Thread: Taking screen shots while I watch a DVD

Taking screen shots while I watch a DVD

I've just spent the past hour looking for a program that will allow me to take screen shots while I watch a movie on my computer. I haven't had much luck at it. I tried DVDgo or something. It couldn't do encryptied, and wanted to leave a big watermark right in the middle of the image.

Does anyone know anything that can do this, and is FREE?

Sorry if there is a thread already about this. I'm going to need to leave in a little bit so I didn't have time to do a search on old threads.

2. The Print Screen button should do the trick still, you'd just have to crop the image. PowerDVD came with my computer, and lets you take a screen cap, I'm sure most other DVD-specific playing programs for PC have that feature as well.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    The Print Screen button should do the trick still, you'd just have to crop the image. PowerDVD came with my computer, and lets you take a screen cap, I'm sure most other DVD-specific playing programs for PC have that feature as well.
    Nope, print screen doesn't do anygood. I've tried that, and it saves the screen as whatever it is dvd player programs use to bounce the movie off of. I know this because when the movie starts back up, if you open the saved image, it wills how the movie running where the image should be.

I have windvd and for the life of me can't find a screencap option anywhere on it.

4. Which version do you have? A google search turned up this - http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinDVD...ture=thumbchap
    Which mentions screen grabbing.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

5. hmm, i had the same problem before when taking print screens from a video. There are some settings (i dont know which tho) in the windows media player options which you can play with, and this enables you take print screens. I dont know if other players like winamp, etc, work, as i dont have them, but i could take print screens from windows movie maker, but thats not good with a DVD.

6. The setting you turn all the way down is the hardware acceleration in the WMP options.

7. Media Player Classic can take screenshots, but I think you have to shut off overlay options to get it to work right.

8. thats the one, cka, otherwise you get the crappy black background which wont go away when you try to edit it out. Its the same with media player 9 too i think.

Quote Originally Posted by cka
    Media Player Classic can take screenshots, but I think you have to shut off overlay options to get it to work right.
    lol, yeah I found that like a minute after I made this thread.

I didn't have to do anything special to get it to work. Just pause the movie and save image in the file menu.

10. WinDVD can take screenshots. You can't take screenshots by pressing printscreen because all the DVD/player programs use DirectX's direct video card blitting to show the video, hence there really isn't an actual video picture there as windows sees it. It is just a black square which gets rendered video at the video card level, just before it gets sent out to the monitor.
    I don't know how to get rid of the huge space here.