Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Freeware on the Web

1. MajorGeeks - Pretty much everything you see here PLUS more. Its like an archive of anti-virus, diagnostics, spyware tools, firewalls, BIOS, back-ups, etc.

2. I have'nt tried it yet, but you can play a 2d version of Half-Life titled Codename: Gordon

www.halflife2d.com

3. www.irfanview.com - Irfanview, a great image browsing program that loads stuff quickly, and allows for some editing, just no creating.
    www.freedownloadcenter.com - Lots of great freeware available, although I got some nasty spyware from one of the programs they recommended, had to do a system restore to rid the system of it.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

4. Text Editing:

TextPad - possibly the best text editor available for Windows.

The huge array of plug-ins for syntax highlighting allow me to do all of my web coding with this program. I use it for general text editing as well -- I've virtually killed any need for MS Word except for the cases where I need to graphically format a document.

BTW, fantastic thread.

5. JWPce - Kawaii nihon-go wapuro ^________^

FTP Explorer - Extremely user friendly FTP client which emulates the feel of Windows Explorer.

P.S. The GIMP suxors!
    Last edited by AstroBlue; 10 Aug 2004 at 03:35 AM.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

6. freeware games: www.gamehippo.com

Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Great thread, but I recommend Filezilla for FTP. Its an open source project, so no silly restrictions, and from what I can see its as powerful and easy to use as CuteFTP or that Bullet one.

http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

this ftp program kicks ass.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    www.irfanview.com - Irfanview, a great image browsing program that loads stuff quickly, and allows for some editing, just no creating.
    Thanks for this recommendation--I've been looking for a quick image viewing program that would do targas. Having to load Photoshop everytime I want to view a damned screenshot from DOOM 3 SUCKS--thanks again, Jeremy.

lithium Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Trillian Basic - Instead of having multiple chat clients with ads flashing all over your screen, you can use Trillian and run AIM, ICQ, Yahoo...
    I wish you could use Yahoo with trillian. Yahoo is very adamant about keeping third party clients out

Crimson Editor -- The best Windows style text editor there is, and it's completely free (unfortunately not open source). It's better than TextPad (which isn't really free anyway).

9. No problem, Mark, I've been using it for years, and the multimedia plug-ins are handy as well. For image browsing, it's very convenient, as you can see a thumbnail of it before opening, and can see what to keep, what to get rid of, etc., without having to open the full image.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

LOL Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lithium
    I wish you could use Yahoo with trillian. Yahoo is very adamant about keeping third party clients out
    Yahoo's worked for my Trillian Pro for a few weeks now. They patched Trillian the day after Yahoo changed their protocol, and Trillian says they'll keep doing it every time Yahoo changes it.

MusicBrainz - It's got a stupid name, but this program will look at all your MP3s and re-tag them for you from an online database of MP3 information. It's been about 90% accurate for me so far.