Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Videogame books

1. The Myst novels were surprisingly not bad.

2. Of course they werent the game was as slow as a book.

3. They were much faster paced than the games ever were.

4. Other than that, all I've read is the old Blaster Master novel, which I still have somewhere. I enjoyed it then.
    I had that.

And Mega Man.

And Ninja Gaiden. =\

5. and Shadowgate.

and Bionic Commando.

LOL Guest
    Lucky Wander Boy is good reading, and so is this review of it.

The Ultimate History by Steven Kent is the only other book on this nerdy crap that you should consider reading.

7. Ultimate History is a must read.

Lucky Wander Boy is good, but it's fiction, and I always like non-fiction a lot more.

Phoenix is good, but Ultimate History makes it obsolete.

Opening the Xbox is a fascinating story, and one I highly reccomend.

I loved Game Over, and I thought the section on Tetris was really well written.

I've read a bunch of shitty books based on games (Blaster Master, Resident Evil, Mega Man 2, etc.) but the less said about them, the better.

8. Steve Kent's book is an immensely enjoying read. I his style of writing is great and, although the lawsuit chapters drag a little bit (IMO), overall, it's a great book.

Lately I've been reading more game design related books. Probably my favorite one has ben Chris Crawford's "On Game Design".... but then again, I always get a kick out of anything Crawford says or writes.

Eric Zimmerman's "Rules of Play" is also very interesting, however, be warned that it reads like a textbook (actually, it IS a textbook)... but it's probably the best book ever written on game design theory.

9. Quote Originally Posted by sethsez
    The Myst novels were surprisingly not bad.
    I have two of them sitting up in my room, but haven't got to them yet.

If you have the Riven game guide (the official one), theres this whole novela told through the perspective of the stranger about his adventure/time in Riven. It's pretty cool. Also some stuff on the theory of multiple universes and some interesting philosophy stuff. Worth the read if you can find it.

10. Yeah, I have that too.

The Myst universe is much, much larger than what's shown in the games, and the novels cover three generations. The Book of Atrus is the slowest-paced, since it's mainly just Atrus's biography up to the beginning of Myst. The Book of Ti'Ana is about Atrus's grandparents and the destruction of the D'Ni. The Book of D'Ni is almost like a side story and really has nothing to do with the D'Ni. Atrus and some other people go to another world, find out the culture, learn its deep dark secret, etc... it's basically like a bad Star Trek episode. Still, the first two are very good and The Book of D'Ni isn't totally worthless even though it's not as good as the first two.