Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Videogame books

1. Ultimate History was one of the books we used in my History of Videogames class. It was so good I read through it again afterwards.

Trigger Happy was the other, but I didn't care for it.
    All is well.

2. Opening the Xbox is good, as is Game Over. But Opening the Xbox is skewed, full of innacuracies, incorrect info, one sided events, sensationalism and speculation. But if you just want a fun read that looks at how things COULD have gone, check it out. I enjoyed it immensely.

Game Over is also written in such a way to emit certain reactions to certain things and is written with certain people being heroes and others villains when that is certainly not usually the case in business.

I sort of wish they were both more like business journals with more factual stuff and less "side taking" after the fact. This is less evident in Game Over though

Quote Originally Posted by kuro
    Ultimate History was one of the books we used in my History of Videogames class.
    WTF? Such classes exist?

I know if I took one of those classes the professor would hate my guts before long since the way I would like to see video game history presented is much different than the purely business side the books provide.

Oh and that Playstation book(I forget the name) was an okay read but certainly not as interesting as Game Over. It provided a lot of background to Kutaragi's work and the internal politics of Sony.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 13 Aug 2004 at 11:42 AM.

4. I read Steven Kent's book when it was still called The First Quarter.

Which makes me hardcore.

Fuck yea.

5. I enjoyed Game Over quite a bit. The story of how some of these people came into the market, makes it all the more interesting.

Though not really a solid read, Arcade Fever by John Sellers is an interesting look at arcade gaming from it's roots and into the early 80's. It has interesting interviews with Nolan Bushnell, "Buckner and Garcia", and an arcade machine collector named Keith Feinstein. A must read for fans of early arcade gaming.

6. Game Over is one of the most dry and boring books I have ever read. It started off alright, but the writer goes off on these annoying tangents all the time and when you hit the Tetris chapter everything turns to trash.

Masters of Doom was pretty enjoyable, it had a lot of laughs and was very interesting.

Pheonix is a cool book to have.

Videogames The Ultimate Book, a collection of shitty reviews from a ton of Imagine magazines, usually the british ones. A lot of typos and crap in this one.

Lucky Wander Boy is alright, but I wouldn't go out of my way to obtain a copy.

The Doom books sucked so fucking much, yet I read them all, and still own the first two.
    Last edited by Regus; 14 Aug 2004 at 12:22 AM.

Some of the information in Game Over is great, but it was very poorly written.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

8. I read 2/4 of the Doom books and am working on the third one, I found a website that they're on. I've read a few MechWarrior books which were actually pretty cool. Other then that I can't think of anything I've read that had to do with videogames, but I'm always forgetting stuff so I don't know.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

9. Sweet Jeebus, I forgot about the old videogame novels.....I know that I read Mega Man and Blaster Master. From what I remember, they were trash. Imean, they pretty much made their own story like they did with the Catwoman movie.

Can anyone refresh my memory?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I hear Balrog's moveset includes the Fried Chicken Right Cross, The Watermelon Wipeout Punch, and the Welfare Blaster.
    I SWEAR IF YOU BITCH ABOUT TWINSTICKS I WILL BREAK MY FOOT OFF IN YOUR ASS

10. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater
    WTF? Such classes exist?
    Palomar Community College, baby. I think its a prerequisit for Videogame Design.

Which reminds me, I have to sign up for that.