Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Videogame books

1. It's a great book, though the dialogue is a bit wooden.

The best part: He told me that he used Sega-16 as the starting point for his interviews.

2. Yep. And my IGN article for the story. I met with him back before he started and went back and forth with him over the past couple years. He mentioned Sega 16 to me as well.

3. So let me get this straight:

Sega passed on the Playstation AND Silicon Graphics to release the Saturn?

Good Guy Greg Tom Kalinske gave Howard Lincoln's number to the Silicon Graphics guy to apologize for SoJ turning them down?

I would love to hear SoJ's version of events from this period. But really, if true, how dumb could they be? What was their rational? Jealously? SoJ seemed so out to lunch on every major decision during the early 90s that it makes total sense that the Saturn and Dreamcast failed.

I like Sega, but this book made me really appreciate what Nintendo was trying to do in the early 90's.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 31 May 2014 at 11:30 PM.

4. Yeah, that was in the article I wrote, too. Sega had every opportunity, but SoJ fucked it up, mostly due to pride.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Yeah, that was in the article I wrote, too. Sega had every opportunity, but SoJ fucked it up, mostly due to pride.
    Has anyone ever reached out to SoJ and asked for a proper explanation? (I'm aware Japanese interviews are rarely enlightening.)

6. Yeah there's no way you would get any honest answers as to what transpired.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

7. I wonder: What would our childhoods have been like had Tom Kalinske rebuffed Hayao Nakayama's offer?

8. Just started the book last night. Wish Harris would've went into Nintendo's toy-making a little bit more. He kinda jumps right over that period.

Also, anyone read Service Games? Saw it on my kindle list and was gonna get it after I read Console Wars.

I never bothered with the Service Games book. A lot of people on the Sega-16 forums said it was a big pile of misinformation.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Yeah, that was in the article I wrote, too. Sega had every opportunity, but SoJ fucked it up, mostly due to pride.
    Was it due to pride? I mean, the same company that over-engineered the Saturn also put together cutting edge arcade hardware for many years. I think it's reasonable to think they actually did believe they knew what they were doing based on that.