Thread: G4: Anyone have it?

1. G4: Anyone have it?

After calling my cable company(Comcast) a few times and getting nowhere("We've never heard of that channel") I finally talked to a knowledgeable person. they said that it should start the 16th, but I may not get it as I live in a out of the way area. Well, I wake up and check just for the heck of it and what do you know, I've got it! I've got Comcast Digital Cable and it is on channel 138.

How is it? Pretty good actually. I sent a lot of the day watching it, surprisingly, there weren't many reruns. There are a some commercials and each show has either two or three breaks. Mainly for CDs, pringles or G4 programs. Oh and they play AIDs PSAs every commercial break. I guess a lot of gamers are getting AIDs. Every now and then during a commercial break they will have a short segment called "Screenshots". This basically just shows a minute or two of in-game footage from various games. I saw footage from the following games today: SSX Tricky, Extreme G 3, Splashdown and maybe something else.

Here are short reviews of the shows I saw....

Starcade
    ---------
    An old gameshow from 1983 where contestents play Arcade games and compete. Apart from the fact that the host is a moron and most of the contestents have no clue what they are doing, it's a good show. Unlike Nick Arcade, this actually focuses on video games. It is set up like this, they get asked a question like "How many hammers are in the first screen in Donkey Kong" and who ever is right, chooses one of five arcade games. Then, each contestent gets to play for 60 seconds. Scores are compared. Grand Prize is an arcade cabinet.

Cinematech
    -----------
    Dull, boring, stupid, pointless, shall I continue? This show is dedicated to FMVs. Basically it is a collection of game cinemas(and in rare cases gameplay demos). Why anyone would watch this is beyond me, you are just begging to have a game spoiled for you.

Sweat
    -----------
    Sports games. I'm not a fan so I can't say much. Basically, the host talks about sports games, gives tips, etc

Portal
    -----------
    MMORPG show(did I get the acronym right?). Pretty good, except it is a little too cheesy for my tastes. I don't have a good enough pc/internet connection for these games, so it let's me see what they look like. It gives out tips on how to survive, what to do and stuff like that.

Cheat
    ----------
    The host is annoying, constantly making lame jokes. Said something to the effect of "Well, it didn't come out on Dreamcast, but who cares". Pretty much gives out cheats and strategies. I won't be watching it.

Filter
    ---------
    Snore.... Top ten list show. Every now and then they have a street commentary and wouldn't you know it, they pick some of the biggest fools to talk to. "Uh, it's the best because it's got good graphics".

G4tv.com
    ----------
    Similar to a radio show. They take calls, read message board posts and talk to people in chat. Pretty entertaining.

Players
    ---------
    Kind of like the horrid show Cribs on Mtv. They basically go to stars, ask lame questions and se what games they like.

Icons
    ----------
    Think Behind the Music, but for games. Very good. I actually learned something watching the Nolan Bushnell episode today. Turns out he started Chuck E. Cheese. Future episodes sound lame though. Pacman? Oddworld? Lara Croft?

That's all I saw....my hands hurt...

2. I hate Comcast so much.

I want this channel so bad, but not enough to shell out the extra cash for digital cable.

3. I wish I got it, I will have to call and find out whats up with it and if my lame cable will get it.

I hate TV, no G4, they cancelled my favorite show "Wolf Lake" and X-Files is ending... all that is left is the same old crap