Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Xbox Live: Cable Modem or DSL?

1. Quote Originally Posted by epmode
    aren't you with comcast? they have a nasty habit of limiting upload speeds.
    No, I've got a DSL with BellSouth.

2. Quote Originally Posted by epmode
    aren't you with comcast? they have a nasty habit of limiting upload speeds.
    I've just upgraded for $5.00 more a month, they'll uncap some of my speed enough to double my upload and download. How fucking nice of them, you figure since you pay for a modem they should let you have the maximum capacity it will provide. Kinda a ripoff, but I should be able to host descent sized games now. .

3. Cable is almost always better than DSL. The only time DSL can outpace cable is if you live near the provider. The closer you are to a DSL provider the better your speeds. If you are lucky enough to live right next door to one, cable wouldn't be able to touch your speeds.

On that site you posted I got 2345 DL speed and 999 upload. If I remember how I'm going to check my upload/download speed from the XBOX dashboard.

4. My friend who has Verizon DSL got a 333 kb upload and 128 kb download speed from this site:

http://speedtest.tds.net/speedtest/

It doesn't seem like an ideal connection for Live. What connection speeds do you guys have and what service do you use?
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

5. I have a cable modem and I use Optimum Online(Cablevision).

6. Optimum Online is great. A lot of people in my area have it, but it's still really fast. I've had it for 2 years and I think it's gone out on me once. I reset my router and I was flying high again in no time.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy
    Optimum Online is great. A lot of people in my area have it, but it's still really fast. I've had it for 2 years and I think it's gone out on me once. I reset my router and I was flying high again in no time.

Yeah, I've had it for a couple of years now and I've had next to NO problems. It really is a great service.

8. Optimum Online seems like the way to go, but the $50/month charge is pretty steep (after the six month $30 fee finishes). I really wish Verizon would hurry up and set up their Fios service in my area. Verizon claims a 5 Mbps/2 Mbps connection for $40/month with Fios.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios