Page 1 of 14 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: What will it take for Nintendo to "change"?

1. What will it take for Nintendo to "change"?

Every year, we see the same thing. Nintendo gets shafted with the "mature" games. And sometimes even just regular games like Burnout 3.

This isn't the devs fault however, Nintendo keeps making games but making games that cater mostly to the younger crowd. They can say "our games are for everyone", but that doesn't change the fact that the younger demographics buy it.

Part of the problem is that Nintendo is still making a ton of money, and as such aren't going to go the way of the Sega. Another part of the problem is that their games aren't bad either from most people's perspectives to the point that they garner critical acclaim.

You can say Nintendo should just buy more mature third parties, but that tactic has failed them thus far. And as far as parents go the kiddy games are great for their kids 7-10 to shut them up. With the kids market cornered, you have to wonder if there is a chance that Nintendo will fail badly enough in the near future so that the corporate guys will be forced to change business strategies.

A successful PSP launch would probably be a good impetus for them to change some facets of operation.

Otherwise, they never will (at least not to the point where a majority of people would call it a specific change). It's rather clear that Nintendo has a fanbase with deep pockets and a willingness to consume strychnine if ordered to do so.

Also, eliminating the polarized camps of "kiddy" and "mature" would go a hell of a long way, too.

3. Of course they won't change, that's their major selling point. The Mario-Samus-Zelda-Pokemon skit is one of its biggest franchises, and since they appeal to every age, they've been dubbed the more childish company of the three right now.

Their problem is that they inform us every now and then that they're in a period of change and that more will be released for their systems, like Reggie pretty much concluded up to at the E3 conference. The thing is, even if they say that, you know they'll be more games like Looney Tunes and Luigi's Mansion. It's not entirely bad that their keeping their "Rated E" image, because you can't really set characters like Mario and Luigi in a serious, slightly gorey, rated Teen environment.

They wont change and I find that a good thing, because I can always revert back to them when I get tired of the other stuff around.

4. I hate to go the superficial route, but I think a big part of the Nintendo's kiddy image is their console design. First impressions are important. GC and N64 are both very toy-like compared to their contemporaries, and the "mature" crowd doesn't want something childish-looking sitting in their entertainment center. Their next console needs to be something sleek and sexy, that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb next to a DVD player, rather than cute and compact.

Hopefully the SP and DS's slick designs are an indicator of things to come for their next console design.

5. Why does everybody think that Nintendo needs to get rid of their "kiddy" image? First, I think the whole argument is stupid. However, I also think that it is nice to have a console out there that younger gamers can own and have a bunch of quality games on it that they can enjoy that aren't just blood and gore.

Plus, so long as a game is really fun and enjoyable, who cares if it is "kiddie" or not? Morons, that's who. People treat this topic like Nintendo is the only console around and they don't have any more mature games to play. You've got TWO other consoles with a ton of mature games on them - why aren't you satisfied with that.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. Nintendo should have designed and marketed the GameCube as a machine for everyone, not just kids. Nintendo can concentrate on kiddy titles, but branding its console as kiddy-only was pretty stupid. Right at launch, I would see people asking game clerks about the consoles and they all said that the GameCube is for kids. Really bad idea.
    No gnus is good gnus.

7. Nintendo should have designed and marketed the GameCube as a machine for everyone, not just kids.
    Which explains why they went to such measures to get exclusivity on Resident Evil, approve games like Hitman, Medal of Honor, and True Crime, and themselves do stuff like an MGS remake, Eternal Darkness, and Metroid Prime.
    I would see people asking game clerks about the consoles and they all said that the GameCube is for kids. Really bad idea.
    "Kid-friendly" and "for kids" are two completely seperate things, too bad nobody seems to notice that difference, people seem to view it in black and white.

8. Miyamoto needs to go. Then they'll change.

Plus, so long as a game is really fun and enjoyable, who cares if it is "kiddie" or not?
    This question has been answered a million times before, I dont know why it is still asked. But Ill answer it with another question: do you watch The Little Mermaid every day now because it is "really fun and enjoyable"?

Sometimes, the theme does matter.
    Last edited by diffusionx; 27 Aug 2004 at 11:25 AM.

9. Q. What will it take for Nintendo to change?

A. See avatar

10. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    This question has been answered a million times before, I dont know why it is still asked. But Ill answer it with another question: do you watch The Little Mermaid every day now because it is "really fun and enjoyable"?
    Terrible analogy. Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario, and pretty much everything not developed by Hal is quite a bit more age appropriate for us than Disney cartoons.

And The Lion King still rocks.