Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favorite directors

1. Your favorite directors

Pretty self-explanatory. list your favorite directors and explain why if you'd like.

1. Stanley Kubrick(no one else comes close)
    2. Woody Allen(better writer than he is a director)
    3. PT Andersen(i want punchdrunk knuckle love!)
    4. Richard Linklater(this guy is on a roll)
    5. akira kurosawa(made such beautiful films

2. John Millius.
    Early Tim Burton... didn't like Sleepy Hollow or Planet of the Apes though.

şTracer
    o_O

3. Jim Jarmusch
    Quentin Tarantino
    Kevin Smith (As a writer)
    Guy Ritchie (Kickass style)

Tired, think of some more later...

4. Originally posted by APC
    Jim Jarmusch
    I LOVE ghost dog. im a huge wu-tang fan, so having rza as the composer for the film was an awesome experience for me, plus his cameo was so cool.
    "ghost dog...power and equality" or something like that.

the film just has so many cool influences, like the aforementioned wu-tang clan, akira kurosawa and the greatest game on earth, chess.

Guy Ritchie
    Tim Burton
    George Romero
    Stanley Kubrick

6. Well, Since I'm not a huge fan of dramas dont expect to see any of big names like Kubric, Altman, PT Anderson or others on my list.

Lets see who that leaves us though:

HK

John Woo
    Tsui Hark
    Dante Lam
    Andy Lau(Not actor)
    Corey Yen
    Jackie Chan
    Yen Woo Ping

Japan

Takashi Miike
    Akira Kurosawa
    Beat Takeshi

USA

Michael Bay
    Paul Anderson (RE guy)
    Ridley Scott
    Quentin Tarrantino
    Stephen Norrigton

ANd many other, I'm tired, so cant remember many of the names.

7. Wes Anderson - Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums are two of my favorite movies (the former more than the latter) and Bottle Rocket looks good too.

Andrew Niccol - I've liked everything he's done so far. He directed Gattaca and his upcoming feature, Simone, looks phenomenal. He also penned both movies, along with The Truman Show.

Frank Darabont - The Green Mile and The Majestic were both decent. But The Shawshank Redemption is my favorite movie so I figure he deserves a spot here.

Jake Kasdan - Zero Effect and Orange County were delightful surprises. He even directed episodes of "Undeclared" and "Freaks and Geeks". Can't go wrong with this boy.

François Truffaut - I've only seen The 400 Blows (which was great) but I need to add a little class to my list, so here he is.

8. John Hughes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

9. Originally posted by Sqoon

François Truffaut - I've only seen The 400 Blows (which was great) but I need to add a little class to my list, so here he is.
    I actually watched The 400 Blows the other day. i wasn't ecstatic while watching it, but the more i think about the film, the more i like it. 45 years or so later, its still better than 95% of the movies released today. I just started getting into the french new wave films, and the 400 blows is my favorite thus far. I also have truffaut's Wild Child coming in the mail. here's hoping its as good.

10. Originally posted by Kinopio
    I actually watched The 400 Blows the other day. i wasn't ecstatic while watching it, but the more i think about the film, the more i like it. 45 years or so later, its still better than 95% of the movies released today. I just started getting into the french new wave films, and the 400 blows is my favorite thus far. I also have truffaut's Wild Child coming in the mail. here's hoping its as good.
    Exactly how I felt. The movie has an undercurrent of soft-spoken quality that is really lacking from most movies released now (thanks to director tendencies computer effects I suppose).

I think I'll watch some more New Wave movies. I also suggest you try out Au Revoir Les Enfants (Goodbye My Children). It's not by Truffaut (I don't even know if it's even circa New Wave era) but it's another serious movie about adolescence.