Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Service Pack 2

1. Service Pack 2

i am wondering whether or not it is worth getting service pack 2. A friend said it would be worth waiting until they cleaned up all the glitches in it.
    Should i wait or not?
    If i should wait, for how long?
    Thanks
    Last edited by burky; 02 Sep 2004 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Change

2. I'm waiting on it... it seems to have conflicts with certain games, I need to take a look at the list...
    Name: Rock
    Town: Arcadia

3. I'd wait for a bit if you could. I've got it running at home, but I've disabled all of the client PCs here at work from downloadning it until I can finish testing it on our client builds. The biggest problem in SP2 is the new Windows Firewall, which I would recommend disabling immediately if you have a router firewall or something like Sygate PF or Zone Alarm.

SP2 also breaks a few programs, such as Freedom Force, and Halo CE (direct X problems for Halo, no idea on Freedom Force). I'm running a fair number of design programs (Photoshop CS, MX Studion 2004), Office 2000 and such and I've had no problems in those.
    Never under any circumstance scrutinize the mastication orifice of a gratuitous herbivorous quadruped.

4. Well..most of the problems with SP2 stems from the new firewall. Disable that and most in not all problems go away. As for breaking programs.. I'm not really sure. Behaving differently isn't the same as being broken.

You COULD give it a try, but maybe you should wait a bit and see if there are any improvements/fixes.

5. thanks

6. I been using it for about 3 weeks no problems to report at all. I can actually use IE without loosing my mind now, with it's new pop blocker.

7. Quote Originally Posted by x2y
    I been using it for about 3 weeks no problems to report at all. I can actually use IE without loosing my mind now, with it's new pop blocker.
    Duuude! FireFox! That is, unless you are using IE for Windows Updates.

8. Yea I know, I tried fire fox but alot of the plug-ins were acting up. So I stuck with Netscape 7.1 since its basically the same as Fire Fox. I only use EI for a few sites that don't support Netscape properly.

Tab browsing is great.

9. Quote Originally Posted by x2y
    Tab browsing is great.
    Yeah it is!

I'm installing SP2 on our new business laptop... let's see how this goes...

10. How do you diable the firewall?