Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Nintendo/Apple partnership dream

1. Laugh A Nintendo/Apple partnership dream

This is a really great idea suggested on Nintendo HQ forums - http://www.nintendohq.shorturl.com - by the member "xperence". I'm sure he won't mind me quoting his post.

This may be a one-post thing, but it has been receiving great reviews so far, so if you agree- awesome. I don't own a Mac, but don't call me a hypocrit yet. Their processors and technology are great and they certainly have a knack for innovation making a great partner company for Nintendo rather than Gate's buying out Nintendo. So, read and maybe sign my petition on petitionpetion.com when it goes live on Sept. 8! Note I am just taking this idea a step further from the author of The Apple-Nintendo partnership site:

According to Slashdot, the G5 processors found in Apple Computers are being solely sought after by Nintendo to incorporate in the Revolution (Nintendo's "fourth pillar") or the Gamecube's official successor (Magma) whilst another potential (and more likely) candidate is IBM who supplied PowerPC processors for Gamecube and X-box. Microsoft, on the inside of the 'box' appears to be head-to-head with Sony. Despite many appearances, it's infact Nintendo and why Gates made the X-box in not being able to buy the console developer's shares from Hiroshi Yamauchi, Nintendo's majority holder.

Microsoft has been keeping Nintendo in its sites, making the same deals with ATI for Xbox Next, using IBM processor chips... are these merely coincidences? Or, may they be due to a leak in Nintendo America. (Microsoft's office and Nintendo's America office are adjacent to each other in Redmond, Washington.)

Why then is the G5 the clearest choice for Nintendo? Microsoft would rather strong-arm Apple developers, wouldn't they? As for me, I think Steve Jobs would have a better chance of approaching Nintendo's majority stockholder than Bill did.

Why not? A 'cube' or 'sphere' like computer case that has nothing in it? Why not put Nintendo consoles in there? Nintendo lacks a proper online interface, and Apple could help them with Ethernet properties, firewire, etc. They could get a jump on Microsoft at last. Likewise, to gain a new potential audience, specifically in those small college dorms, and Apple computer would be able to play GC games.

Apple's previous console attempt failed, and I can't think why they didn't see that Bandai was going to drag them down with them. Sega is another good choice. With proper market planning, Sega getting back into the market would already have an audience waiting 4 them.

I'd prefer Nintendo, though. Wouldn't you? Many innovations that are probably hinted at in the Revolution could just be even greater with Apple's might. In the past, Apple has been proprietary and 3rd parties refuse to port things to them directly. If they had an alliance with Nintendo, they could have integrations with Nintendo products.

The company already shares the same goals in a sort, and their machines have the same specs. Even in Japan, the dev'vers for Nintendo used gamecube emulators on the Apple computers. Most Japanese use Apple computers anyway! This would create a strong bond in the industry and probably developers would be more hospitable.

Combine the innovations of the DS, the mysterious Revolution, Wavebird, the e-reader (Nintendo), and then FireWire, G5, sleak designs, wireless, new graphic and video formats...and I'd say you got yourself a winner!

And because Pixar uses Apple computers... they might be able to make CG movies for the Nintendo franchises, generating huge revenues. BETTER movies and series' than the Super Mario Brothers super show, the SMB movie, the Legend of Zelda, and more.

Of course, I look at the light side of things. There are plenty of good things that can come from this investment if done properly. Discuss.
    Read the full discussion here:
    http://p067.ezboard.com/fnintendohq14987fr...icID=3042.topic

He has started a petition here:
    http://www.PetitionPetition.com/cgi/petiti...ion.cgi?id=7481

Might as well sign it, you never know.

Let me get this straight? Nintendo is going to get Apple's help to try to gain marketshare? They might as well just call Joe's Computers. It'll be a cheaper way to fail.

3. Okay, someone obviously doesn't understand the position Nintendo is in. Using a different chipset means games would require developers to make games specifically for the Rev, or in the case of ports, rewrite a lot of code to accomodate the differing hardware. The former is very risky, because Nintendo has been losing momentum in market saturation while their competitors have been gaining it. No matter how rosy your outlook, no way is Nintendo's console going to move as many copies of a given game as could be released on PS3 and Xenon. And the latter just discourages ports, being that they would require more effort for a smaller payoff than the same game would see on the other consoles. Devs aren't porting a lot of games NOW to GC, even when porting is a relatively easy procedure... So I would really wager that adding the necessity to exert more effort into ports for Rev would make even less games see a Rev port. Which means more games stay on PS3 and Xenon, which makes Rev look bad.

Bottom line, Nintendo cannot afford to take risks. They could turn out great if they click, yes; but if not, Nintendo is gonna be completely TKOed from the console market.

Although I will say that Nintendo should totally enlist Apple to design the Rev. That would be hot.

4. ... by Nintendo to incorporate in the Revolution (Nintendo's "fourth pillar") or the Gamecube's official successor (Magma)...
    Wait,wait, wait, wait.... What the fuck is Magma and when was this announced? I thought Nintendo said at E3 that Revolution was going to be the successor to the Gamecube, but if what this nut is saying here is true, Nintendo has two new home consoles in the works?! What the fuck is this all about?
    All this pillar crap is pissing me off as well. We're not stupid, Nintendo. You're not fooling anyone to think that you're still going to support the GBA or GC after your new machines come out! We may look stupid, but most of us are not.

lithium Guest
    Nintendo and Apple...

two companies that created the industry they're now faultering in (definitely true for Apple, semi true for Nintendo). Two companies that are too arrogant to just give the consumer what they want. Two companies that charge more for their products than their competitors. Two companies that attempt to get by on brand recognition, associations of quality and "eliteness". Two companies that have rabid fan bases.

Apple and Nintendo go hand in hand. Sounds like the perfect partnership.

6. Eh, I'll pass. I just want to see Nintendo gain back some marketshare from Sony. They still make better games. And my friends, it's all about the games.

7. LOL. Apple is a far, far better company than Nintendo, and puts out far, far better products.

According to Slashdot, the G5 processors found in Apple Computers are being solely sought after by Nintendo to incorporate in the Revolution (Nintendo's "fourth pillar") or the Gamecube's official successor (Magma) whilst another potential (and more likely) candidate is IBM who supplied PowerPC processors for Gamecube and X-box.
    01. What the fuck is this "fourth pillar" and "Magma" bullshit?
    02. Everybody who isnt an idiot Nintendo fanboy knows that IBM supplies Apple with the G5 processors.

two companies that created the industry they're now faultering in (definitely true for Apple, semi true for Nintendo). Two companies that are too arrogant to just give the consumer what they want. Two companies that charge more for their products than their competitors.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Apple's marketshare is growing, and the iPod is easily their most successful product ever. And Apple... well I think they do give customers what they want. Look at the new iPod, or the AirTunes, and so forth. And Apple really doesnt charge that much more for their products than their competitors... the prices really are competitive... of course, you can go to newegg.com and build a plain-jane box for less price than it costs to build an Apple, but thats not Apple's market, they are competing against Dell and shit. This site is a little biased, but check it out and youll see they are priced competitively

So, really, there's a huge difference between Apple and Nintendo. Apple is a company with a growing marketshare, putting out products that increased number of people are interested in and buying, while Nintendo is a company who's marketshare is shrinking while they bafflingly cater to a lunatic, rabid fan-base, thus guaranteeing said marketshare will continue to shrink.
    Last edited by diffusionx; 08 Sep 2004 at 10:54 AM.

8. I very much agree with Diff. Apple doesn't just sit on their ass and wait for something to happen. They release new and exciting products, and their market share is VERY steadily growing. Other than the fact I've been a mac user my whole life, I've seen them change in many ways over the years, and they're not going to make the same mistakes again.

You know why? Because the IPOD is the Walkman of the 21st Century, not the fucking PSP. If you have the next big thing, you capitalize off it, and you make it better. If your Nintendo, you use the same hardware you've been sulking on for a billion years and call it brand new. THE CLASSIC NES SERIES WAS SUCH A BIG SUCCESS, IN 1989 AND 2004!!!!!

I missed the fourth pillar piece. How do you divide all 3 third party games Nintendo still gets evenly among four platforms?

Someone has to say this.

Together, they would make the least-straight console known to mankind.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery