Thread: Cool Stuff

1. Cool Stuff

There aren't many animes that successfully combine the Lain/Boogiepop Phantom style that redefined "mystery" in animes with pure, heart-pounding action.

However, an anime(currently being released by Pioneer, the DVD Gods) called "The Soul Taker", does just that.

I don't wanna sound like a cheesy review site, but check it out. It has an impressive intro, that, although like every other anime is a love song, still sounds cool. Oh yeah, the show's good too. Heh. Seriously, go buy it now.

Current Projects/Recommendations:
    Dual!
    GTO
    Boogiepop Phantom
    Rurouni Kenshin: Tales of the Meiji
    The Soul Taker
    Inu Yasha(not yet released on DVD, only available through Direct Connect or any other fs program as .avi or .divx files., talk to me, I have all of it.)
    There is but one absolute truth...
    And it transcends all other truths...
    And that incomparable piece of wisdom is that...

I AM VOLTRON!!

2. Re: Cool Stuff

Originally posted by I AM VOLTRON
    There aren't many animes that successfully combine the Lain/Boogiepop Phantom style that redefined "mystery" in animes with pure, heart-pounding action.

However, an anime(currently being released by Pioneer, the DVD Gods) called "The Soul Taker", does just that.

I don't wanna sound like a cheesy review site, but check it out. It has an impressive intro, that, although like every other anime is a love song, still sounds cool. Oh yeah, the show's good too. Heh. Seriously, go buy it now.

Current Projects/Recommendations:
    Dual!
    GTO
    Boogiepop Phantom
    Rurouni Kenshin: Tales of the Meiji
    The Soul Taker
    Inu Yasha(not yet released on DVD, only available through Direct Connect or any other fs program as .avi or .divx files., talk to me, I have all of it.)
    For the Soultaker fans here...

Dual! is good, but it got pretty cheesy at the end. "Real" is ownage though.

3. I'm a huge fan of B-pop and Lain, but I couldn't stand SoulTaker....interesting...

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

4. Originally posted by BioMechanic
    I'm a huge fan of B-pop and Lain, but I couldn't stand SoulTaker....interesting...
    Fan of Lain over here too, and I couldn't stand SoulTaker. Maybe it's the cheesy theme song: "Soooooul...TAKE-AAAAAAAHHHH!!!!"

5. LOL - yeah, that was part of it. I also cringed at "LIIIGHTENIINNNG BREEEAAAAKAAAAH!!!"

I think the reason I didn't like it was how it tried to mix differing elements, like Voltron mentioned initially. It seemed to me it tried too hard to capture the bizarreness of Lain/Phantom, and then mix it with over-the-top combat and silliness. It didn't work for me.

BTW, check out Boogiepop if you haven't. Definitely Lain-esque.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

6. Originally posted by Freeter

Fan of Lain over here too, and I couldn't stand SoulTaker. Maybe it's the cheesy theme song: "Soooooul...TAKE-AAAAAAAHHHH!!!!"
    Yeah, I have to admit, I like the show, but "Lightning Breaker" is probably the cheesiest move ever created.

Not nearly as impressive as "Form Blazing Sword!"
    There is but one absolute truth...
    And it transcends all other truths...
    And that incomparable piece of wisdom is that...

I AM VOLTRON!!