Thread: 15 Years in 15 Days

1. Disc 15 Years in 15 Days

KZPS is running a program this week where from last Tuesday until the 21st they will only play songs from one year, every day, beginning with 1967 and ending with 1981. Today they are on 1969.

This has to be the single greatest radio gimmick in history.

Not only is there the time warp aspect where it feels like old radio, but by limiting themselves to only one year of songs in 24 hrs, they quickly run out of the songs you always here, and they have to go back to singles that have set on the shelves unheard for decades. So you hear new shit that may not be great, but it’s at least different.

Also by changing years, day by day, you get to see how Rock’s evolved. And by picking 1967 to 1981, you start off with the late Beatles, the Stones & The Mama’s and The Papas then go through Jimi Hendrix & Janis Joplin, then Pink Floyd & Led Zeppelin and finally in 1981 we’ve come to Van Halen, AC/DC, Tom Petty, & The Cars. And, maybe, if were lucky they’ll throw in some Clash.

I don’t want to whore out to a radio station, but I thought this was a novel concept and wondered if stations in other areas were pulling the same stunt. Even if it were Alternative it would be cool, imagine 1989 to 2004: Real Hot Chili Peppers & Faith No More to Jimmy Eats World & Modest Mouse?

After all, this is the 50th Anniversary of Rock N’ Roll.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 09 Sep 2004 at 04:40 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. XM Radio did this over the span of a couple of months starting back in the 40s all the way to the 90's. The called it "The History of Pop Music" It was a pretty novel Idea.

Seems like dinosaur radio decided to use the idea...
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

3. I'm thinking of buying an Ion3 I'd get XM with it. But I don't know if I'd use less on Road Trips.

BTW: Today's 1972. David Bowie hit the scene with Young American and Changes. Pink Floyd exploded with Dark Side of the Moon.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. I've flipped on 92.5 over the coarse of the week. Some of the history notes, are pretty interesting to hear.