Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new web forum design

1. Chicken My new web forum design

moma Cafe v2.5

In switching to the newer version of the forum script that I run, I couldn't bring the old forum design with me. (Which can still be seen here.) Because of this, I came up with an "interm" forum design that would incorporate some of the elements that will come along in my next true forum design, but also would not be a true full make-over so that it could be finished quicker.

The plan for my new design is to concentrate on three main ideas behind using a message board: Usability, Simplicity, and Creativity. First, a message forum should not only be easy to use, but should have features that enhance and improve the user experience. For the 2.5 skin, this can bee seen through the +Navi bar. Second, too many message boards have a lot of excess junk that gets in the way and clutters up the interface. For the transition skin, a preview of this can be seen in the hiding and unhiding of post options and post icons when posting a message. Finally, with the first two still in mind, a message forum should have a fun and interesting design, something that sets it apart for other forums and makes it memorable. This can be seen, in part, in the new avatar forum we are now running.

I think message forum design is a horribly neglected thing, and I wish more forums would put more effort into their forum skins. The three things that I mentioned - usability, simplicity, and creativity - are very important aspects, and I think they need to be given more priority.

If you'd like to get a look at the "advanced" skin - Sky + Navi - where more of the new features can be seen, please log in with the trial account. (ID: trials, Pass: trial) Due to the CSS coding and PNG graphics that unfortuantely IE is not yet capable of supporting, IE users should't use the trial account, as I have it set to default to the Sky + Navi skin.

As well, if you do give your opinion, please remember to keep in mind that this is a transitional skin, is not meant to be a full overhaul, and thus some parts of the skin have seen little modification.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. I really like it. The clean japanese style isn't for me, and find it a bit worn but don't worry about that. The one thing I really love about it is that you changed up the traditional format a lot. The avatars across the top of the post is really nice and allows more flexibility for those who want to let their personalities come through.

I don't think I'll post on it, because I'm not in to the Japan thing so much, but it's great looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    I really like it. The clean japanese style isn't for me, and find it a bit worn but don't worry about that. The one thing I really love about it is that you changed up the traditional format a lot. The avatars across the top of the post is really nice and allows more flexibility for those who want to let their personalities come through.
    "Clean Japanese style?" Is my style Japanese? *confused*

4. I would say yes. You use a more conservative look with cute typefaces and pristine layout. That's not a bad thing by the way, but yes, I would say that you do.
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. My typestyles are "cute?" You're really trying to make me feel bad today, aren't you? *heh*

And seriously, for anybody who is going over to look at my forum theme... PLEASE log in as the trial user so that you can see the +Navi bar in the Sky + Navi theme. I think it's one of the best parts of the theme, by far.

6. Great header graphic, very nice layout. My favorite thing is the huge banner style avatars, it really works here. If I ever design another message board I'm going to rip off that idea (and there's nothing you can do to stop me, ha ha ha). One thing I would add is a line or something to seperate the user info from the message, and move the post number and date up to kill some of that dead white space. Oh, and the header "Welcome Back" bar should be the same length as the rest of the "boxes" (messages, etc).

Any way, very nice.

7. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    My typestyles are "cute?" You're really trying to make me feel bad today, aren't you? *heh*
    Japan has a very distinct style. I don't mean it as an insult, but you do have a Japanese style.

8. Hey shidoshi: How do you get Japanese characters? Do you know Japanese?

I have to do a spread layout for Tokion, and I have to freshen up their design (for school, not commissioned). I know what I'm going to do (take a little of HoBO magazine and apply it to Tokion, with black and white touches and such), but I would like to convert words to Japanese characters.

How would I go about doing this? Thanks in advance.

9. I really dig the banner style av's. Forces people to be creative.

10. It's really... really... nice! Do you force people to only use AVs of a uniform size? Since I think having all these irregular AVs is the most ugly thing about most VB Boards. The best thing about it, is that you negate the need for a Sig/Av combo since your AV has enough space for everything.
    Last edited by AstroBlue; 13 Sep 2004 at 02:48 AM.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.