Thread: Official DVD review thread

1. Official DVD review thread

I had the thought going around my head that there should be a thread on which versions of DVD movies are the best including Superbit versions and such.

DVD movies lately tend to be re-released with better picture quality and more content elaborate editions. It kind of pisses me off and sometimes puts me off to buying a certain DVD at release. I browsed around Best Buy today and noticed that Starship Troopers(which I bought around release) now has a Superbit version and a Special edition version with more extras and with a slip case. Black Hawk down is another one that has a regular edition, a 3 disc edition and a Superbit edition.

Ninja Scroll also has a recent special edition which kind of got me peeved but the good thing is that it's also in widescreen and supposedly better picture from what I read on the back.

I know that it's totally up to preference when it comes to the decision of better picture vs extras but I think that there should be a compromise of both which kind of gets answered with what I've seen lately called a Superbit Deluxe edition. I forgot which movie it was that had this but it's quite nice to have as a choice and if movie studios released another edition it should be these if transfers don't go that well the first time or if techniques have advanced to make them better.

There are cases of a great quality transfer with alot of bonus goodies like X-Men 1.5 edition and Alien. As far as my small library of DVD's go anyway.

I must note that Alien has got to be one of the best transfers/remastering of picture quality that I've seen in a while. Especially considering that it came out in 79 it's a feat in itself and I wish Aliens looked as good.

I'm not going to go into a full blown review of the disc at this moment, I'll save it for another time but I'll make a small list of the best versions of movies/anime as far as I see.

Ninja Scroll: Special Edition w/black slipcase
    Alien Quadrilogy seperate Special Edition
    Aliens Quadrilogy seperate Special Edition
    X-Men 1.5 Edition
    Predator Special Edition w/black case and red lettering of Predator

I'm having a tough time finding T2 the Ultimate edition though and I want it simply for the extras that I heard it has alot of. I have the more widely available Extreme Edition with the cardboard slipcase(since I hear that the metal one can damage the plastic cover and I forgot it came that way too) which does have the superior transfer but the extras aren't as much even if they are a bunch of different extras.

The dude who speaks through the insert of Extreme Edition Van Ling says they're both good DVD's by themselves but are great companion DVD's so I'm trying to nab both.

So anyway, here's the thread for DVD discussion if you guys have the info on the best versions of DVD's or best combos list em'. It's also a good excuse to go through all the extras that you save for other days or just ignore to talk about the quality of that type of content
    Last edited by Will; 17 Sep 2004 at 01:34 AM.