Thread: Configuring Headlines to be read in Thunderbird AND as a Firefox 1.0 Live Bookmark!!

1. Configuring Headlines to be read in Thunderbird AND as a Firefox 1.0 Live Bookmark!!

Upgrading my mail client today, I found out that the latest version of Mozilla Thunderbird (their version of OE, mail & news program) can now incorporate RSS news feeds. Well, having written a newsfeeder a few months back I successfully set it up and now news updates come straight into my email program.

Here's the steps, incase you're curious about how to do it:

1) Grab & Install the latest Mozilla Thunderbird release (0.8 is stable). When you install, choose "advanced" and make sure RSS Newsreader is ticked off in the installation screen. Continue on along with that, and finish the installation.

2) Open it up, and make a new account. Step by step instructions:

• Go into "Account Settings"
    • Create a new "RSS News & Blogs" account, name it "Rss News" or something like that. Finish creating it.
    • Click on "Manage Subscriptions" for your new RSS account. Add a new one, name it "TNL News", and use the URL http://www.the-nextlevel.com/rss/news as the feed URL.
    • OK your way out of it, and it should automatically pull the most recent headlines into Thunderbird.
    There you have it, automatic updates pulled right into Thunderbird. Drop a note here if you do use the RSS newsfeed (even if not with mozilla illustrated above) -- I'm kinda curious as to its statistics.

2. I would... but I hate Thunderbird...
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

3. Safari in OS 10.4 will have built-in RSS support, so I can't wait for that. Good job on setting up the feed, cka.

4. The other day I went ahead and setup a "Live bookmark" link for FireFox 1.0PR that you can use to subscribe to the TNL headlines. You'll notice a small "RSS" icon down in the status bar of Fire Fox when you visit either the index page for the site or the headlines forum, clicking on that will enable you to subscribe to the RSS feed as a "Live Bookmark."

5. Quote Originally Posted by cka
    The other day I went ahead and setup a "Live bookmark" link for FireFox 1.0PR that you can use to subscribe to the TNL headlines. You'll notice a small "RSS" icon down in the status bar of Fire Fox when you visit either the index page for the site or the headlines forum, clicking on that will enable you to subscribe to the RSS feed as a "Live Bookmark."
    Nice... I will get 1.0PR now.

EDIT: Works and is awesome.
    Last edited by AstroBlue; 30 Sep 2004 at 08:09 AM.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

6. Manually adding a live bookmark:

Open the Bookmark Manager, go to "File -> New Live Bookmark". Name it whatever you want, and drop in http://www.the-nextlevel.com/rss/news as the feed URL. Enjoy.

7. Any chance of this working with the rest of the forum? Or would that just explode the internet?

8. It actually doesn't work through the forum itself... It just pulls info from the database.

CLARIFICATION EDIT: I could actually setup RSS feeds for the forums since it's a builtin option in vbulletin 3, but the way the news feed is setup it doesn't work with any of the forum scripts itself. It's a stand-alone application. Also, vBulletin's XML RSS feed only uses version 0.92 of RSS whereas mine uses 2.0.

Once my plan comes together (lol Hannibal) I'm hoping to have all the content sections (news, reviews, previews, features, articles, etc.) available as RSS feeds.

9. RSS Bookmarks are the coolest thing since pr0n.
    Penny Arcade, girly, and RPGamer have them, too. Now my slow-ass poop-comp doesn't have to take five minutes to load a page just to check updates.
    Thank you, cka. You've opened me up to a new world of laziness.