I don't know if any of you folks subscribe to MacAddict magazine, but I just picked up the October 2004 issue and my jaw dropped at one of the sets of instructions in their "How To" section.

A few months ago, I don't remember if it was them or MacWorld magazine, an article was published showing people how to replace the optical drive in their original model TiBook. In addition to mucking up an anti-static shield in those directions, they also neglected an important metal clip that could shear the drive's cable (rendering the drive useless).

In any event, in MacAddict's "How To" area is a section on how to change your user name. Normally, this is as simple as changing the name in the "Accounts" preference pane, but no: MacAddict has detailed instructions to change the short name - the name that Unix uses internally.

Suffice it to say, this is NOT something I recommend doing. At the end of their descriptions, they tell you how to do it the right way: making a new user. Please do not follow their instructions!