Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

1. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

I'm a little burnt out on movies right now, but this one is intriguing. It seems imaginative and fun, like the beginning of a wonderful star launched at an empty point in space nobody ever see's. I am a little perplexed as to how some of the shots were made, and even if the use of computer graphics ever become tiresome, but I don't think so, given the large scale story.

It's #1 at the box office, which isn't saying much since everything seemed to do poorly there this weekend, but Ebert gave it a perfect 4 stars, and I usually agree with Ebert in most cases, so now I want to see it for myself.

I'm a little bit scared, too, about the review since there isn't a release below 3 stars this weekend on his list. http://www.suntimes.com/index/ebert.html
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. The only thing I know is that it has the fruitiest name ever.

3. I've seen almost nothing but positive reviews. The fact that the movie is supposed to be 100% CG (except for the actors) kind of bothers me (less like watching a movie and more like watching a videogame), but I'm still pretty interested. I'll probably catch it during the week.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. If it weren’t for GitS Innocence I would have caught this on Friday. The few people I know who went to see it all really enjoyed it. I may catch it later this week if I get the chance.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

5. I've been wanting to see this for a long time now because I think it looks so hysterically cheesy and awesome. My favorite comments about it so far is from Cleveland Scene's review:
    Ordinarily, fantasy movies demand at least a couple of paragraphs to convey the gist, but Sky Captain, while random as all get-out, makes no overtures toward complexity. In 11 words: Buncha crazy machines attack everything, and Jude Law saves the day.
    Huzzah. Any movie with the Hindenburg III automatically starts off with bonus coolness points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeno G
    If it weren’t for GitS Innocence I would have caught this on Friday.
    Screw you, Columbus.

6. I wanted to make an official thread for this last week, with requisite posting of Ebert's review and everything, but I was kinda busy, plus there wasnt much interest in this movie around this parts at all.

I think it looks great, and I definately want to see it. The fact that it has almost 100% CGI made environments doesnt bother me one bit, since from what I heard they are done quite nicely. The style is also great, with retro-future look and feel. Coolness

Still, I am not sure if I can make it to see it in the theaters, and its more likely I will have to wait untill dvd release for this Oh well.

7. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    Screw you, Columbus.
    Hehe, every once & a while this city kicks ass. It was even on the biggest screen in the city.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

8. Guys... Don't see this movie. It is sooo boring. I walked out before it even got to the middle of the movie. The main problem was that the CG while ok is not a good substitute for real environments and only hiring four actors and putting them in front of CG rooms makes it feel like cutscenes from some video game. The plot is almost as bad as the design sense in the movie. At least if Lucas' ILM or ImageWorks was in charge of CG, then maybe. I can't believe that cost $70 million to make, I could have made a much better movie on my PC for about 1/1000 of that. It probably all went to hire the actors. I can also say that the Green Glow added as a special effect to "put" you into the 1930's style movie is a bit too sharp on the eyes.
    I don't know how to get rid of the huge space here.

9. I saw it last night and loved it. Its totally a classic style adventure movie, heavily inspired by sci-fi serials from the 40s and stuff. I found the CG to works really well for what it was trying to do. Basically it looks like a movie from the 50s but with much more dynamic camera work and unlimited sets and environments.

I personally can't see how someone can get bored watching this movie, something is always happening. They basically go around the world in this movie, and are constantly getting in and out of situtations and stuff. The pacing of the movie for me at least totally felt like Star Wars or Indiana Jones, where there is always something new coming up, and don't stay in one place for the majority of the movie.

Go see it, its great.
    Barf! Barf! Barf!

10. I caught this last weekend, it's a great movie. Like Clash Master said, it gives off that Indiana Jones vibe but this occurs later in the movie. In the first half, it stays in New York City with that retro "The Rocketeer" or "King Kong" vibe.

The first scene where the robots first arrived was pretty over the top, and then the middle has a lack of action but it more than makes up for it in the last 1/3 of the movie.

The CG was well-done IMO, there were only a few moments that the CG glared at me but it was nowhere as bad at Matrix Reloaded or Spiderman 2. Maybe it was that glowy/retro filter they applied.
    Name: Rock
    Town: Arcadia