Thread: Bittorrent Problem

1. Bittorrent Problem

Whenever I try to download something using bittorrent the download starts (as in it gets past the connecting stage) but the transfer rate just stays at 0. I've never had this problem before. Something tells me it might have something to do with my school's firewall, but then why would the download technically start in the first place?

Anyone know what the deal is?
    Well that's like, your opinion, man.

This is due to the way BitTorrent actually works.

It'll let you connect, and you can download a bit from others... but as soon as they see that you're behind a firewall, and that they can't connect to you, their BT will cut you off.

A firewall would definitely screw you.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. Forward/open ports 6881-6999 on your router (if applicible) so bittorrent can use them.

If you're trying to download shit at a university, they might have those ports blocked off for that very reason -- you're trying to download stuff.

4. I know, the computer center here screwed us over this semester.

Anyway, I don't have a personal router, but I'm sure the network as plenty of routers. Is there any way to check is those ports are blocked?

Quote Originally Posted by OmniGear
    I know, the computer center here screwed us over this semester.

Anyway, I don't have a personal router, but I'm sure the network as plenty of routers. Is there any way to check is those ports are blocked?
    You'd need administrator-level clearance to them. If you have to ask, you probably can't do it.

cka's right, they're out to stop you from using peer-to-peer programs.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

6. Yah, figured.

Oh well. Thanks for the info.

7. I've got the same problem (likely because we're at the same school, heh - at least, if memory serves. Bing, right?). Nothing's working.. one kid said he was able to use an old ver. of KL though. Soulseek seems to work for me (I've only tried with one mp3 however). Lots of people say Limewire works well, but I've heard it has teh spyware. First few weeks comp services called up like 5 people around here for torrenting and such. Maybe they've implemented something since.

I'm not at a school, and I can get BT to work, but it does so very slowly, like 20kps downloads. Maybe I'll mess with my firewall some and see if that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

9. If it's connecting and going slow, you just have slow seeders. Not much you can do about that. The ports are obviously already open so messing with your firewall won't do crap.

10. http://dessent.net/btfaq/#speed

See here. If you're only getting outbound connections it won't be as fast.