Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewall and online gaming...

1. Firewall and online gaming...

I was just wondering, since i have recently installed Service Pack 2 on my PC and enabled the Firewall, does this have any effect on my online gaming connection? does it affect the bandwidth or ping in anyway? I am sharing my PC connection with the PS2 and XBOX.

thanks,

2. The answer unfortunately isn't so clear. My firewall which is built right into my router doesn't have any effect on my online gaming. Some people I know have problems with stand alone firewalls and if you are behind a firewall on a college campus you might be shit out of luck. Not sure if this helps.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Glass Joe
    The answer unfortunately isn't so clear. My firewall which is built right into my router doesn't have any effect on my online gaming. Some people I know have problems with stand alone firewalls and if you are behind a firewall on a college campus you might be shit out of luck. Not sure if this helps.

i guess the only thing i could do is try to play with firewall on and see if others complain about lag.

unfortunately most players are in the U.S and im in the UAE which automatically gives me a crappy ping due to the distance, unless i play with my friends which are in the same country.

4. Typically software firewalls will have no effect. Depending on what ports are open. Hardware firewalls normally take a little work to get around.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

5. Quote Originally Posted by BrAnDX105
    Typically software firewalls will have no effect. Depending on what ports are open. Hardware firewalls normally take a little work to get around.

i see, so how do i know what port is open? sorry, i'm no PC tech wiz.

6. xp's firewall will only affect xp itself, so the only way it would affect online console gaming is if you're using ICS on your computer with a dual nic setup.

7. Quote Originally Posted by cka
    xp's firewall will only affect xp itself, so the only way it would affect online console gaming is if you're using ICS on your computer with a dual nic setup.

lol what on earth is ICS? and what about games running through XP such as medal of honor, doom3....and so on.

8. ICS is internet connection sharing. It is a way of running another connection(XBOX,PS2,another PC)through your existing PC. You need two network cards in your PC, one for your online connection and one connecting your main PC to the secondary connection.

Basically it is a way of having another connection without the aid of a hub,switch, or router.

ICS is also terribly slow and horrible. That's why people get routers.

Quote Originally Posted by marwan
    lol what on earth is ICS? and what about games running through XP such as medal of honor, doom3....and so on.
    It should only really affect certain programs, and I believe it asks you if you want them to be blocked in any way when you first run them. The games should give you no problems at all, and if you have the game systems hooked up to the same connection through a router then you have nothing to worry abouta as far as they're concerned... they have nothing to do with your PC, really.

At the very, very worst, it takes less than a minute to turn off the Windows firewall.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    ICS is also terribly slow and horrible. That's why people get routers.

It should only really affect certain programs, and I believe it asks you if you want them to be blocked in any way when you first run them. The games should give you no problems at all, and if you have the game systems hooked up to the same connection through a router then you have nothing to worry abouta as far as they're concerned... they have nothing to do with your PC, really.

At the very, very worst, it takes less than a minute to turn off the Windows firewall.

to disable the firewall do i have to disconnect and reconnect in order for it to take effect?

also, while i was on holiday, i was sharing a wireless internet connection on my laptop, and i noticed that programs such as kazaa and bittorents would download faster on the main PC(the one with the wired DSL connection) as opposed to my laptop that was using a wireless connection through an access point. is this the kind of thing you're talking about?