Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice

1. Need Advice

There's a bakery called Cinnaman and I have been commissioned to do their logo. I've come up with the following but can't decide what I like. I am going to change the bottom typography that says: bakery & cafe because at lower sizes it is illegible.

Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

I like the guy with the suit a lot, but I guess the simpler the logo the better. The font is great, though, I'd be sorry to see it go.

So, I'd go with the first, sketchy stick man.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. I have great advice: don't listen to anything Mzo says.

On the page of four, I like the top right one.

4. I like the simple, stick-man one more (the second one); the top one is half sophisticated, and half simple; it doesn't work.

I strongly dislike the proportions on the one with the suit, the body does not fit the head.

5. Quote Originally Posted by burky
    I like the simple, stick-man one more (the second one); the top one is half sophisticated, and half simple; it doesn't work.
    Well the writing is childs writing. Also, the colour scheme and organic feel combined with the silouette suit and rough facial features of the suit man make it work together. This is the feedback I got from my teachers, they like the big headed cinnaman a lot.

I strongly dislike the proportions on the one with the suit, the body does not fit the head.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the point of the first one. Drawing attention to his peculiar head is what makes it so graphic. If his head was in proportion (which I started with) really ruins the more comic feel. Sophisticated yet still organic and fun was what I was going by. I ran this by the person today and they like the business suit guy the best.

Mzo: Logo's don't have to be super simple. That's usually a more corporate stance, but the good thing for a high end bakery is that you get a lot more creative freedom with what you can do. Different is good, especially for the case. I think the challenge is just finding a middle ground between artistic impression and rigid corporate habit.

Many logo's or even things in graphic design will totally disregard everything that is normally deemd good or right and be amazing. The main thing for a logo to do is be impactful, and I think they liked the top one to the right because people would be able to easily recognize something like that over a simpler form (the stick cinnamen).

I was also told that my typography is fine, I just need to arrange the hierarchy in a more legible fashion. Changing the light subtext to the dark brown should do this. I was just worried that it would be illegible at smaller sizes, but it turns out that isn't the case after a couple of test prinouts. Thanks for your help guys.

I liked them all and couldn't make up my mind. I narrowed down my presentation quite a bit thanks to you chaps.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 07 Oct 2004 at 08:54 PM.
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

I don't know if you need any more advice, but the top left stick-man looks more like cinnamon, or cinnamon sticks, which is cool. Cinnamon sticks/cinnamon has a definite look that you could translate purposefully to the logo. The second one reminds me more of a cinnamon roll, which makes me hungry, but it's just a very light logo. I'm not sure about it. Maybe combine the two? Darken the head and lighten the body?

And the subtext is fantastic. Where is this place? I'm hungryyyy
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

7. Well, take heed of our opinions, we are the people who will see it and we told you what we thought. You can't combat everyone's opinion like you did ours, by replying to "the head is out of proportion" that it draws attention to it; I doubt they will care.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    Well the writing is childs writing. Also, the colour scheme and organic feel combined with the silouette suit and rough facial features of the suit man make it work together. This is the feedback I got from my teachers, they like the big headed cinnaman a lot.
    I like the suit guy the best myself. Really nice job. Go with that one, I say.

The stick-figure ones below are just too generic-looking. If you looked at them in an ad with no text you'd have no idea what you were looking at. The suit-guy is far more distinctive. Actually, that'd probably make a cool t-shirt design.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

9. Quote Originally Posted by burky
    Well, take heed of our opinions, we are the people who will see it and we told you what we thought. You can't combat everyone's opinion like you did ours, by replying to "the head is out of proportion" that it draws attention to it; I doubt they will care.
    I don't think they'll raise any complaints about the large head at all.

They've picked the thumbs up big head to the right.

10. So how much does something like this pay?

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww