Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to make a website!

1. Question I want to make a website!

My girlfriend wants a website for a new company she's starting, and I want to help her make it.

Is there an easy way? What program do you use for HTML editing? Is there a template or something that I can get, instead of messing with HTML?

All help is appreciated.

2. http://www.w3schools.com/

If you want to be a real slacker, get a copy of Macromedia's Dreamweaver and avoid writing HTML. But if you did that, you'd be a pussy. It is a great way to learn HTML though (have Dreamweaver make the code, then look at the code to see how it all works).

P.S. - If you use browser-specific code such as Internet Explorer-only tags, you're dead to me.

3. I suggest you use templates and gradually learn enough HTML to make changes. Barebones HTML is pretty easy, especially if you're just modifying what's already there. Get a book from the library and use Notepad (not Word) to learn on.

4. Use training videos. Go to www.lynda.com (recommended by me, excellent quality videos) or www.vtc.com, sign up for a monthly plan for around 30 clams.
    Study:
    Learning Dreamveawer MX 2004(probably the only one you really need)
    Learning HTML
    Learning Flash MX

You can learn an entire course in two days... no shit. Each video is about 14hrs split up into sections. Unfortunately, you don't get exercise files for $30 on lynda.com but you do on VTC. Still lynda is better overall.
    You can also get the same videos from ed2k.
    I don't know how to get rid of the huge space here.

5. < HTML>
    <head>
    <title>KORLYS PAGE OF AWESOME GIFS</title>
    </head>

<body>
    <center><h1>WELCOME TO KORLYS PAGE OF AWESOME GIFS!!!! THE AWESOMEST GIF HOME PAGE ON THE ENTIRE INTERNET!!!</h1></center>
    <a href="GIFS">CLICK FOR HOT GIF ACTION</a>
    </body>
    </ HTML>

Now, for my non-smartass remark: www.w3c.org, www.w3schools.com, and if something catches your fancy don't hesitate to view source and steal the code. I did it just the other day and setup a "Live Bookmark" for FireFox 1.0 in the headlines forum/main site.

edit: even more advice, learn xhtml 1.0 transitional - it's not as difficult to pick up as xhtml 1.0 strict (which is all css positioning and wacky nonsense), and html 4.02 is pretty much out of there now.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Korly
    My girlfriend wants a website for a new company she's starting, and I want to help her make it.

Is there an easy way? What program do you use for HTML editing? Is there a template or something that I can get, instead of messing with HTML?

All help is appreciated.
    Call me an ass, but the way I see it, anybody who isn't willing to "mess with" HTML shouldn't be making a website. Messing with HTML is how you understand what it is you're making. If you don't understand how what you're making is made, then you'll never be able to fix problems that come up that those fancy web-making packages can't fix.

Back when I was learning, I'd go to a website that I liked, download the source, and play with it until I figured out what did what. To me, that's the best way to start. Once you've done that, then start reading how-to sites on how to accomplish more complex things.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

7. Problem is you've got to be good at HTML to make a good job of a site. I can only do the very basics, like creating hyperlinks, and inserting pictures, etc, and my thing looks like a piece of shit. I recommend you make a good site using a program first, and then start playing with it more; its going to take a lot of time, and with a new business, you won't have that time. You don't want to make a crappy website for a business, so make it good by using an editor, and then over time build up a new one on your computer written on real html.

8. Having a basic understanding of how sites are coded is pretty much necessary, but the rest can be done in Dreamweaver or the like. I built the frontpage for my site, for example, in Dreamweaver in about 1/10th the time it would've taken me by hand. So yeah...I contributed to this thread.

9. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    Call me an ass, but the way I see it, anybody who isn't willing to "mess with" HTML shouldn't be making a website. Messing with HTML is how you understand what it is you're making. If you don't understand how what you're making is made, then you'll never be able to fix problems that come up that those fancy web-making packages can't fix.

Back when I was learning, I'd go to a website that I liked, download the source, and play with it until I figured out what did what. To me, that's the best way to start. Once you've done that, then start reading how-to sites on how to accomplish more complex things.

You're an ass.

Not all of us enjoy coding and would just like a nice website to put our content on, or to show off our visual designs.

I plan on making a web comic very soon (most of you probably won't "get it") and I want a good site for displaying the comics. I know next to nothing about html (can read it, can't write it), so I'm gonna have a hard time having to learn something that I don't want to waste my time on. I just want to get my strips up there.

10. Yahoo geocities haha.. thats what I use and it gives me a result which people seem to like.. And as you can easily acess your html coding, you can learn that as you go if you please... Its a piece of cake to use..