Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I want to make a website!

1. Quote Originally Posted by arjue
    I know next to nothing about html (can read it, can't write it), ...
    I don't understand, explain.

2. Geocities - www.geocities.com
    Netfirms - www.netfirms.com ( I only use this one as it supports frontpage)
    Homestead - www.homestead.com

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.
    All are free, and registration is easy, reliable (they don't go shooting off you're email to every man and his dog) , and will take around 5 minutes.

However, you got to have their web domain as part of yours, as for the following:
    Geocities - www.geocities.com/burkinshawt
    Homestead - www.homestead.com/website
    Netfirms - www.chalet.netfirms.com

Just go for the one that you like the look of most, or which you can et a good name on.

3. You can get a free .tk website with a decent name that doesnt include the name of some webgiant. I forget where though

lithium Guest
    You can get webspace for less than $4 a month. The jump in quality that $4 gets you from the free hosts is enormous. If you're really set on a website and know it's what you want to, don't bother with the free crap.

5. I'd recommend the Netfirms one, as the adverts on geocities really piss me off, they're right in the way on the page, meanwhile netfirms is good.

If you don't want their name (and the adverts), the hosting costs around $9; depends how stingy you are, or how professional you want your site to appear.
    Also, the free ones have lower capacity, like 15gb, lowerbandwidth etc, so if you're gonna have lots of pics, movies, etc, or your site will be high volume, you may want to go and pay the $9.

6. I want to buy a domain name, definitely. Thanks for all of the advice. I'll look into Dreamweaver. Is it really hundreds of dollars?

7. Quote Originally Posted by burky
    Yeh? Is dreamweaver free as well? I made my site, www.chalet.netfirms.com , and I can't see any drastic improvements that could/should be made, so where would dreamweaver improve upon?

The only thing I don't like about frontpage is that I can't edit the code, because it does something to it, perhaps encrypts; i don't know
    I use Dreamweaver MX and I have www.netfirms.com. I upload files to netfirms. I use SmartFTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Korly
    I want to buy a domain name, definitely. Thanks for all of the advice. I'll look into Dreamweaver. Is it really hundreds of dollars?
    If you want to go legit..yes it will cost hundreds same with any Computer Grahpics programs..3ds Max, Photoshop, Flash, etc.. You can get Dreamweaver in "other" ways.

8. Mozilla and Netscape have a built-in composer that works pretty decently, and is completely free (legally).