Thread: Something is wrong with my computer...

1. Something is wrong with my computer...

I just installed Quark Xpress 6 and Photoshop CS onto my computer. I think it was when I installed CS that my Windows Explorer folder on my START MENU as well as a couple of others such as NOTEPAD or C PROMPT and some other files from my programs disappeared. How do I bring it back?

I tried system restore and nothing. I uninstalled Quark Xpress and Photoshop CS and restarted the computer and nothing came back.

2. *EDIT*

I guess the folders are hidden from the START MENU section but they are viewable when I check it under my DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS. How do I unhide them?

*EDIT* AGAIN

Well, I dont know how I'm doing this but...I went to my Win Explorer, went to the files that is not showing up, right clicked and selected PIN TO START MENU. After I pinned them, I dragged that file to where ever it belonged. Once that was done, I unpinned them. Its a long and tedius job, but I had to do it. Anyone know why it dissappeared in the first place?

3. Scan your computer for viruses. There was a link to a freeware site that scans it for you. Viruses often disable/rename/replace stuff around. One notorious thing they do is kill the antivirus process which may be running in the background. They also install and run scripts which have the potential of moving things around.
    I don't know how to get rid of the huge space here.

4. Quote Originally Posted by seen
    Scan your computer for viruses. There was a link to a freeware site that scans it for you. Viruses often disable/rename/replace stuff around. One notorious thing they do is kill the antivirus process which may be running in the background. They also install and run scripts which have the potential of moving things around.
    Thanks. I'm doing it as I type this. I dont think its a virus but I think its more of the way I uninstalled. Not too sure. But when I uninstalled CS, it asked if I wanted to keep or remove the current user preferences/settings. I clicked remove. I'm not sure if that was the case but I think I got pretty much most of the stuff back to normal. Took awhile but I did it.

5. It could be a virus from either of the two programs. Did you get them from P2P?

6. Quote Originally Posted by seen
    It could be a virus from either of the two programs. Did you get them from P2P?
    Yes. But I installed it on my laptop also and nothing happened.

7. Your laptop might have a different configuration, maybe it's not vulnerable to the exploit. Is it the same OS as the desktop?

8. Quote Originally Posted by seen
    Your laptop might have a different configuration, maybe it's not vulnerable to the exploit. Is it the same OS as the desktop?
    Same OS.

I did the virus scan and nothing came up.

9. I guess you can assume that nothing is wrong, but I would watch that system carefully now.