Thread: Question about Bulk Rename Utility

1. Question about Bulk Rename Utility

I downloaded and installed the program Regus was talking about in the freeware thread, but I'm not too clear on how to use it.

I have a folder full of PCEngine ROMS I want to put on my Xbox, but Xbox wont support long filenames. How can I use this program to shorten a bunch of filenames without doing each one manually?

2. Well, I got a quick way for you to do this if you're running WinXP.

Code:
    for %%I in ( *.pce ) do ren "%%I" "%%~snxI.bak"
    for %%I in ( *.bak ) do ren "%%I" "%%~nI"
    Using notepad, make a file named rename.bat in the same folder as your roms (A whole copy of them preferably), add those 2 lines, save and then double click it in explorer. That'll rename all *.pce files to their unique short 8.3 DOS equivalent.
    Last edited by NightWolve; 01 Oct 2004 at 01:45 AM.
    "Don't be a pansy." - James

3. Yeah, about notepad...

What happens when it mysteriously disappears? How do I reinstall it?

4. I assume you're on XP then. You could install SP2, if not, I attached a copy for you. Just unzip and copy it to the windows folder. Also, if that don't work, get your Windows CD, copy NOTEPAD.EX_ from the I386 folder to the windows folder, open a dos prompt, cd to windows and run "expand notepad.ex_ notepad.exe"

I dunno what happened exactly, so in addition, I'd run a virus checker.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by NightWolve; 01 Oct 2004 at 01:30 PM.

5. Did that work? Well, someone had asked me about doing the very same thing awhile back, so I made a Rename utility that should work on any Windows system. You place the exe in the same folder as the roms and run "dosrename *.pce" at the commandline.
    Attached Files Attached Files

6. Does the Xbox support '~'s?

If so, I'll make use of this, too. Thanks.

7. Well, if '~' don't work, lemme know. I can change it to be an '_' (underscore) or somethin'.
    Last edited by NightWolve; 06 Oct 2004 at 03:12 AM.

8. how can you lose notepad?
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

9. Nightwolve is awesome, cause that shit worked. Thank you!