Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: ...and Sega said, "No Skies for you!"

1. Originally posted by Will
    I've had to buy Skies 2 times because the second disc didn't work and it was in my pile of shame. I couldn't return it since it's warranty had expired so I bought a new one at Sears for 20 bucks and turned out the first disc had problems when I tried to play it. So I might have to buy yet another one again.

Well did'nt the first disk work with the other copies you have, or did you sell those to some unsuspecting store?

2. The first disc of my 1st copy worked, and the second disc didn't, while my 2nd copy 's first disc worked and the second did.

I didn't sell them back because I had used the game doctor on both. Stupid move but I was desperate at the time to get a working version. I'm not the only one that had this problem a friend at my school encountered the same thing. Maybe there was a batch of defective discs distributed here.

3. Why not just use the 1st disc from your original copy with the 2nd from the new one? That way you'd have a complete copy.

4. Originally posted by Will
    I didn't sell them back because I had used the game doctor on both. Stupid move but I was desperate at the time to get a working version.
    What exactly about the Game Doctor makes the games unsellable?

I'm not the only one that had this problem a friend at my school encountered the same thing. Maybe there was a batch of defective discs distributed here.
    Honestly, nothing works better than just wiping the damn lens off with a dry q-tip. Games that had never worked on my ancient DC suddenly ran without a hitch. I do have a pristine copy of Starlancer that won't run, though, so defective discs certainly aren't out of the question.
    -Kyo

5. What exactly about the Game Doctor makes the games unsellable?
    So a store like EB or Babbages can take a resurfaced CD? I thought they look at the condition of the back of the cd to see if it's still good or not.

Honestly, nothing works better than just wiping the damn lens off with a dry q-tip. Games that had never worked on my ancient DC suddenly ran without a hitch. I do have a pristine copy of Starlancer that won't run, though, so defective discs certainly aren't out of the question.
    This was the only game in my whole collection that didn't work twice. So that led me to beleive that there was something wrong with some of the distrubuted discs. I haven't tried that technique of cleaning the lens with a q-tip but I'll try one day. All these problems I've had with it is why I want it all on one disc, less hassle.

6. Originally posted by Will
    So a store like EB or Babbages can take a resurfaced CD? I thought they look at the condition of the back of the cd to see if it's still good or not.
    Well, that's kind of what I was gettng at - how can you tell? Isn't the GD supposed to make the back of the disc look clean? I don't see why EB would have a problem with it, since they're the biggest GD pimps around. I've got a few mangled discs I want to trade in, so I was looking at the GD as a way to makie them tradeable.
    -Kyo

7. Well, the back of the CD does look different, not clean like new ones or in some cases used ones in mint condition. It has like a wierd fan rotor type surface. Hard to explain but you can tell if you look for 5 seconds, but then again I used the manual GD so it may be a different story with the elcetronic ones.

8. Eb will sometimes take a disc ONLY if it has been Game Doctored. GD ROMs dont always take to kindly to that little "resurfacing" beast. Still though, I hang out at EB often and watch them trade in games. They'll say something like, "You know, we cant take this game with all these scratches. If you use a Game Dr. on it though, we'll take it in. After a few trade ins, it practically pays for itself."

Z-roe
    A is for action

9. Originally posted by StriderKyo

I thought my copy of Starlancer did'nt work, until I took out the rumble pack. The game booted up after I removed my tremor pack. The same goes for NFL2k. I have a nyko brand tremor pack, and a performance brand vibration pack. NFL2k1 and 2 work with the performance brand, but stop at the boot screen with the NYKO brand.