Thread: Colors are off, for a movie in Component video.

1. Colors are off, for a movie in Component video.

I bought a Sony Wega late summer. I bought a cheap DVD player and every movie I've watched on it, has been great in component. Never had a problem with colors on my Xbox or PS2, but for some reason TRON seems sort of off color. All the colors are fine, but for some reason the red glow that is supposed to come from the MCP players is more of an orange, than red.

I've adjusted the hue on my television all the way to red and the best I could get out of it is an orange red color, with exception to Dillinger having the red outlines in his outfit.

I've ran this movie on S-Video in my living room and never had this color problem. Is it the DVD player or just the movie not taking advantage of Component video, the way it was meant to be displayed?

Anyone else experience such an anomoly with a movie in component video?

2. *Dunno if anyone will see this, last post was in 10/04, but oh well*

Well super... it seems I'm not the only one having these issues.

I have a Sony Wega KV-27FS100 27" TV, about 1.5 years old. When I first got it I thought it was great, that was until I started giving it a closer look. The problems I'm having seem tied to it's brightness/contrast controls and a poor component input implementation.

It seems the TV has an issue displaying gradient brightness levels, for example in videogames where an area goes from black to white over a distance. It shows the gradient as stepped, not smooth. This causes similar issues with other areas dealing with brightness and contrast.

Another problem is the picture itself. It has going from left to right across the screen several bars of gray running down from top to bottom. There's probably 4 of them, about 2-3" wide, while the rest is black.

Finally, and this only shows up on the component video input, the entire screen has a red "glow". Not extremely bright, but enough to notice it, especially in a dark room. I know it's not the cables or my DVD player. It's VERY annoying when watching a movie that has a dark scene where instead of black you see red (in more ways than one).

The only way's I've found to almost get rid of these problems is to play with the Brightness and Picture settings. If I put the Picture setting up to about 95% and the Brightness down to about 25-30% then the redish glow almost dissapears, but not completely. The white gradient problem is still there, but a little less visible.

All in all I'm pretty dead set against getting another Sony CRT. My aunt has a 32" model very similar to mine and says she doesn't have any of these problems but I haven't had a chance to look at hers to see. I guess if I ever did go with another Sony it would be bought from someplace that has a 100% guarentee return policy.

If anyone sees this I'd love to know if anyone has (or doesn't have) similar issues. I should try to find a digital camera and take a few shots of it (assuming I don't find a shotgun and take a few shots with that first :/)

Can you adjust the RGB colors on the set? If it's too red, and you can adjust the red level, then there you go.

4. I can adjust the colors so it doesn't look red, but this setting affect all the inputs. The red glow is only present on the component inputs.

I did try it anyway, but when it looks better on component, regular TV and composite look greenish.

Any other ideas?

5. i remember reading the one bad thing about Wega's is their red values.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Dyne
    i remember reading the one bad thing about Wega's is their red values.

I believe you're thinking of the old Trinitron. They are notortious for Dot-crawl, which is very evident with the color red. The Wega has 3 line comb filtering, which eliminates that problem. I have the KV27FS120, practically the same model as DrNick.

I found the problem with my DVD player on my Wega. The Red component cable wasn't plugged in all the way.
    Last edited by gamevet; 17 Feb 2005 at 05:12 PM.

7. DrNick,

You could try setting your television back to factory default. It is possible that your settings are way off. Turn off your television while holding down the reset button on the remote. The television should turn itself off, then back on again.

If this doesn't correct the problem, maybe you should check to see if any electical interferance is causing the problem. Do you have speakers sitting too close to the tube?

8. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    DrNick,

You could try setting your television back to factory default. It is possible that your settings are way off. Turn off your television while holding down the reset button on the remote. The television should turn itself off, then back on again.

If this doesn't correct the problem, maybe you should check to see if any electical interferance is causing the problem. Do you have speakers sitting too close to the tube?
    Gah, sorry for the delay... I could have sworn I'd replied to this already.

I tried resetting the TV, but while it did wipe out my settings, it didn't appear to help anything. I don't think it's interference since there's nothing right next to the TV, and the closest device is my VCR and DVD players, about a foot underneath it. No speakers anywhere nearby.

The thing that makes me think it's an issue with the TV itself is that the only place I notice the problem is when it's on component inputs. All the other inputs work just fine.

If you have any other ideas, great, otherwise I appreciate the help